Chapter 24

*TengFei, Imperial Palace: Royal Chamber (A few hours ago)*

"Son, what brings you here?" The Emperor inquiries surprised that his firstborn had shown up at such a late hour.

"Father, I can't locate Ah-Kun. His signal is gone. Have you asked for it to be camouflaged?" The crown prince questions. Worry seeping into his words, he adds, "I had entrusted him with something important, but when I went to check up on him, he had disappeared. I have been asking around for him for hours. Even Li Xiang hasn't heard from him!"

"Son, calm down. I have sent him to run an errand. It's official." The Emperor's tone suggests that he did not want to be questioned further. He pins his son with a questioning gaze, "Now tell me what was so important that you called Li Kun during working hours?"

YiYang walks closer, with His eyes cast down, he speaks making sure his words remain between them, "Father, YiHuang brought it to my notice that-"

"YiHuang!? You told me that he was working on strengthening the barrier!" YiLei's tone rises, rousing the slumbering empress.

"Ah-Lei, who is it?" The Emperor's bedmate leans forward to take a closer look, "Son, what brings you here? Are you alright?"

"Everything is fine, mother. I guess I have overstepped my boundaries and angered Father. I am sorry for my rudeness." The crown prince bites out sarcastically. He bows to his parents before walking out in silence. He doesn't notice his father follow him till they are in the courtyard, and YiLei calls, "We weren't done talking!" He bars this son's path, "How is YiHuang involved?"

YiYang stops dead in his tracks. He wonders why his father, who had never shown any interest in what his sibling did, was suddenly so interested in him. 'This is not a good time to involve Ah-Huang.' He reckons and lies, "He mentioned it in passing that he noticed some fruits in the grove rotting when he was working on the barrier."

The answer seems to put the Emperor at ease, but only for a moment. His brows crease, "What was Li Kun doing for you?"

YiYang comes clean, "I wanted him to sample the soil."

"And?"

Having seen a side of his father he never had, he decides to underplay the situation, "Nothing, Li Kun disappeared! I got worried. Thank you for putting my mind at ease, father."
"Mn." The Emperor nods, "What of YiHuang?"

YiYang bows his head, "You know how much Ah-Huang loves the grove. It's almost his second home. As a brother, I wanted to surprise him by fixing the situation, I guess." His shoulders slump, he looks up through his lashes, fringing regret, "I am sorry that I misbehaved and upset you, Father. I am so stupid. Not only did I spoil your night, but I also left lady May waiting for me!" He facepalms.

The emperor smiles, then shaking his head disapprovingly, he urges, "Son, you need to be careful about your reputation."

When YiYang's eyes meet his father's, the young Yuanjian has the usual mischievous glint in his eyes. "Trust me,  father, I am more than careful. I will take your leave. Now," he bows, "If I hurry," He glances at his wrist. "I might still be able to catch her." Then with a wink, he disappears into the night.

*****

*Kynlun*

Watching YiHuang stare at the piece of paper for a few seconds without commenting, Zhang takes a peek at it, "Notes! They are musical notes, Ah-Huang. I think we have to play the notes. " He smiles, "That doesn't seem so difficult."

"Are you sure that it is of human origin?"

Zhang inspects the instrument. "I can't say for sure unless we analyze the individual materials used. All I say is that it is much lighter than the one we used to own."