CHAPTER NINE

Shoes in hand, Anna attempted to be silent as she crept past her father snoring on the couch

Shoes in hand, Anna attempted to be silent as she crept past her father snoring on the couch. A blanket was already tucked under his chin and she pressed a kiss to his cheek as she passed.

"Night, sweetheart," he called out as she made her way up the stairs.

"Night, dad. Go to bed."

Grumbling a response, Charlie settled back into his armchair and soft snores escaped his mouth once more. Shaking her head at her father, she knew he would wake up sore in the morning but she was in no state to drag him up the stairs. Slightly intoxicated, Anna knew her father would have no issue lecturing her about the dangers and illegality of underage drinking, even if he was still half-asleep.

Dress catching under her foot, Anna tripped and banged her chin on one of the stairs. Teeth sinking into her bottom lip, she hissed at the metallic taste in her mouth before giggling at herself.

You have to be quiet, she chastised, knowing both her father and sister were attempting to sleep. Ceasing her laughter, she laid there for a moment until footsteps at the top of the stairs made her lift her head up. Frowning down at the eldest twin, Bella was shocked to see her responsible sister in such a state of disarray.

"Good evening, Miss Bella." Anna smiled, tone light and airy. "Come to watch the show? Apparently getting up the stairs is a lot harder than it looks."

Shaking her head, Bella hopped down the few stairs until she reached her sister, attempting to ignore the quiet chuckles she could hear coming from Edward. Guiding Anna to her bedroom, Bella did her best to help her sister get ready for bed before tucking her safely under the covers. Grateful that her sister hadn't driven herself to the dance, she placed a glass of water by the side of the bed for when she woke. Confident that her sister was in a good mood, especially when she began stroking Bella's hair, the younger twin sat beside Anna and began working up the courage to ask her for a favour.

"Edward invited me to meet his family tomorrow, at his house."

Anna opened her mouth, prepared for a lecture or some babbling drunken nonsense that would've attempted to explain the point of her lecture – that it seemed sudden, that Bella barely knew him, anything that could've stopped her from attending the Cullen house on her own when Anna was so unsure about Edward.

"No, no, before you say anything, he invited you as well. He knows that you care for my safety and he thought you would feel more at ease if you accompanied me. You need to be ready by 10 and please don't say no. This is really important to me," she practically begged.

Groaning at the blatant emotional manipulation, Anna begrudgingly agreed before kicking Bella out of her room so that she could get some much-needed rest. Fuelled by alcohol and hours of dancing, it didn't take Anna long to fall fast asleep despite the worries that haunted her about going anywhere with Edward Cullen.