CHAPTER ONE

Rain poured down from the grey, cloudy sky as Annabella Swan stood in the airport waiting to catch a glimpse of her twin sister for the first time in a long time

Rain poured down from the grey, cloudy sky as Annabella Swan stood in the airport waiting to catch a glimpse of her twin sister for the first time in a long time. After sixteen years, the twins were finally going to be living together again and Anna couldn't be happier. For years, Anna had to look after her father; doing the cooking, cleaning, washing, etc. Now she would have a shoulder to lean on and a sister she could form a bond with.

"Bella!" Anna called out excitedly, waving her arms wildly once she'd caught sight of her sister.

Ducking her head in embarrassment, Bella tried to ignore the stares as she shuffled over to her twin sister, giving her an awkward side hug.

"Hey, Anna. It's good to see you again." Bella greeted, her words sounding far too formal to be greeting a family member.

Weaving in and out of the bustling airport, Anna hurried through the crowds of people, eager to get her sister home. Bella grimaced at how cold the weather was compared to Phoenix, and the grimace deepened when she saw her father stood by the cop car. Of course he'd driven the cruiser – who doesn't love the attention it brought.

"It's good to see you, Bells." Charlie smiled at his estranged daughter, pulling her in for a tight hug before placing her luggage into the trunk of the car. "You haven't changed much. How's Renee?"

Just hearing her mother's name was enough to make Annabella's cheerful mood dampen, but she was happy to hear that her mother was doing well. As she climbed into the back of her cruiser, Anna's smile quickly returned once Bella climbed into the front seat. Her sister was finally home.

•.•:•:•:•:•:•☾☼☽•:•.•:•.•:•:•

Carrying Bella's bags up the narrow staircase, Anna dumped them on the navy blue bedspread that decorated Bella's double bed. The twins had rooms across from each other, the bathroom between them. Instead of hovering, Anna and Charlie left Bella to unpack and trudged down the stairs. After all, the younger twin needed time to adjust to her abrupt change of life.

Charlie grabbed a beer out of the fridge before settling down in front of the television whilst Anna set about preparing dinner for the family. Silence settled in the house aside from the creaking floorboards as Bella moved around upstairs.

"It's nice to have her back, isn't it?" Charlie asked his daughter as she placed a lasagne in the oven.

"Let's just hope she adjusts." Anna responded as a loud thump came from upstairs; a sound created by someone throwing something.

Charlie grunted in response.

•.•:•:•:•:•:•☾☼☽•:•.•:•.•:•:•

Fog greeted Anna in the morning when she ripped open her curtains, hoping for no rain. Yet again, it was another day without sun. However, Anna loved the sight of the forest shrouded in mist, the aesthetic of it was spooky, like something you would see in a fantasy movie about vampires.

Grabbing her school bag, Anna trudged down the stairs to have breakfast with her family. For once, Charlie was quiet as an awkward silence settled over them all. The only words out of his mouth the whole morning was wishing Bella good luck on her first their separate cars, the two girls drove to school before joining once more so that Anna could guide Bella to the front office where she would pick up her schedule and sign some forms.

"Can I help you?" The secretary asked, barely glancing up from her papers. "Oh, Annabella, good morning."

"Morning, Mrs S."

"I'm Isabella Swan." Bella informed, shifting from side to side.

After being handed her schedule, Anna informed Bella of the classes they shared and showed her where to go for the classes they didn't. As the two of them walked back to the parking lot, they tried to ignore the gaping stares of the students who had begun arriving.

"Bells, your first class isn't with me but if you go pass the cafeteria, you should see Block 3. I'll see you at lunch." Anna gave her sister an encouraging smile as she left to find her class and Anna met up with Mike Newton.

To say things were slightly awkward between the twins would be an understatement.

•.•:•:•:•:•:•☾☼☽•:•.•:•.•:•:•

Seated at their usual table, Annabella and her friends were now accompanied by Bella. In the middle of asking her about her day, Anna noticed that her twin had become distracted by a group of students sat in the corner of the cafeteria. A group of students that distracted everyone.

"Anna, who are they?" Bella whispered to her sister, not wanting the other members of the table to hear her.

"The Cullen's." Anna whispered back, following Bella's gaze to the group of disinterested teenagers.

"Dr and Mrs Cullen adopted them. They all moved down here from Alaska two years ago." Jessica leaned over, taking any chance she had to gossip. "The blonde is Rosalie, she never smiles. The guy she's hanging off is called Ashton and he's the only sociable one of them."

"The buff one is Emmett. He's in our grade and I wouldn't mind getting to know him better." Anna whispered back, wiggling her eyebrows suggestively.

Taking a quick glance at the handsome man, she blushed deeply when he seemed to smirk at her.

"And he stares at you when you're not looking." Jessica said in a sing song tone, causing Anna to lightly punch her on the arm. "Little dark haired girl is Alice, totally weird, and she's with Jasper, the blond who looks like he's constantly in pain."

"Oi, Jess, don't be mean. Alice is just quirky."

"Who is he?" Bella asked, gazing at the auburn haired boy.

"That's Edward Cullen." Anna said, tone not holding any warmth. "Apparently nobody here is good enough for him as he so rudely pointed out."

After witnessing the way he had treated Jessica when she had flirted with him, Anna had held a grudge against him. Whilst he hadn't exactly used cruel words, he had been cruel enough to reduce the girl to tears and nobody was allowed to hurt her best friend like that.

Tossing her apple between hands, Anna was unaware of the hungry gaze burning on her back. Bella, however, couldn't stop staring at Edward, who never even looked her way.