CHAPTER FIVE

Condensation coated Anna's window as she pushed back the grey drapes to let the weak morning light fill up the room

Ice coated the windshield of her car and she groaned upon realising she would have to spend some time in the icy air defrosting the windscreen before she left for school that morning.

Wrapping her dressing gown around her, Anna stood in the kitchen window smiling affectionately when she noticed her father scraping off the ice and putting snow chains on her and Bella's cars. Making a fresh pot of coffee for when he came back in, Anna took her slice of toast upstairs with her as she got ready for the day.

An hour later, freshly washed and dressed, Anna waited for her sister to wrap herself in another layer of clothing (she wasn't used to the frosty start) before kissing her father goodbye.

Taking their separate cars, Anna was grateful for the peaceful drive where was able to sing along to the radio, loudly. Since Bella had moved in, Anna no longer had the house to herself every now and again to dance around belting out musicals and had to savour those moments in her car.

Pulling up across from her sister, Anna waited in the car for just a moment longer, savouring the warmth that the heating offered. Wrapping her scarf tightly around her neck, Anna turned off the engine and clambered out the car. Instantly, the bitter wind cut her cheeks and filled her eyes with unshed tears.

Treading carefully across the salted road, Ana was halfway across the road when Bella's face paled further and her eyes widened in terror.

A horrendous screeching sound filled the parking lot. Anna whirled around to see Emmett watching from his car (parked a few cars down from hers), horror marring his handsome features as Tyler Crowley's dark blue van hurtled towards her. Fear froze the dark haired girl in place, as she knew that no matter how fast she ran it would be too late. Moving was futile – the van would hit her regardless.

Thankfully somebody moved faster than she did (faster than humanly possible) and strong arms wrapped around her body, pulling her backwards and out of the path of danger. Anna's heart pounded inhumanly fast but she told herself it was only due to the adrenaline pumping through her. Unable to appreciate the muscle pressed against her, Anna turned back to watch as Tyler's van continued spinning towards her sister. Arms tightened around her midsection as Emmett prevented the older twin from tearing across the car park in an attempt to rescue her sister.

"BELLA!" Anna's voice screeched when the van settled and people burst into action.

Not even caring that her hand was tightly gripping Emmett's, the brunette dragged Emmett with her as she flew across the car park. Stopping short, Anna was in disbelief when she noticed Edward had come to Bella's rescue; the last she had seen of the stoic male, he had been stood near Emmett.

Unfortunately, Anna was forced to stand on the sidelines and wait for the EMTs to move the van before she was able to check if Bella was okay. After hearing that Anna had also been involved, she was forced to go to the hospital with Bella to check for any injuries sustained. Apparently reassuring the nurses that she hadn't been harmed wasn't good enough when the daughter of the Chief of Police was involved with a car accident.