4

Note: hey guys, sorry this update took forever! I can't really say I know for sure where I'm going with this story, I just have these scenes in my head that I want to get out on the screen, so sit back and enjoy the ride, I guess lol. Anyway, don't forget to vote and comment!

-

Clark's End of Summer Bash started exactly like most high school parties do - with plenty of illegal substances and zero parental guidance. I wasn't sure how Clark managed to keep up that fake charming smile on his for as long as he did, but after the twelfth random person he introduced me to, I felt my social battery starting to die out. I made up an excuse to leave his side and quickly made my escape to the upstairs guest bathroom, locking the door behind me as I walked in.

So far, Lex was a no show - which, while certainly not odd behavior for him, still didn't explain how I had managed to evade him with no effort in his own house. He should've at least come out for a snack or something to eat. I took a deep breath and looked at my reflection, playing with the ends of my curls as I contemplated whether or not I should stop by his room. It felt so wrong even being here without him knowing. What if he tried calling me? He couldn't know Clark had smashed my phone to pieces earlier. I should go talk to him, I convinced myself, smoothing my hair and quickly checking my makeup before reaching for the door.

Just as I unlocked it, the door swung open, revealing behind it a stumbling, intoxicated football player. Connor? Tanner? I couldn't remember his name. "Whoa, sorry," he said, leaning heavily against the door. "Wait, you're Lyra, right? Clark's girl?"

"Yeah, I was just heading out," I nodded with a forced smile as I tried to brush past him. He stood a little straighter, blocking my exit with a look of faux-concern.

"Why'd you go for Clark anyway?" he asked, suddenly. "I didn't think a girl like you would be into stupid football players," he scoffed.

"Um...aren't you a stupid football player?" the words slipped from my mouth before I could stop them. "Look, Clark and I...we just clicked, okay? Now, if you'll excuse me..." I let the sentence hang in the air as I lifted an expectant brow.

"Well, before you go, allow me to offer you my services," he said, his words slightly slurred. "Clark and I have been friends for a while now. He's not really a 'lady pleaser,' if you know what I mean," he smirked, licking his lips as his eyes roamed over my figure, "but I am."

I felt sick. I crossed my arms over my chest and wrinkled my nose in disgust. "Has this actually worked for you before? Do girls actually respond to whatever that is?" I asked, gesturing at him.

His smirk quickly fell from his face. "Playing hard to get, huh? I give it a week and you'll be moaning my name," he said with a wink. "I could give you a demonstration now if you want--"

"Let me just stop you right there, Connor--" I started, now completely repulsed.

"Tanner," he corrected.

"Whatever. I'm not playing hard to get, I'm just not at all interested in you. Stay away from me or I swear you'll regret it. Now, get the hell out of my way," I retorted, shoving past him so hard he stumbled and almost fell.

I was too full of nervous energy to see Lex now, not that I was sure it was such a great idea in the first place, and I just wanted to find Clark and tell him to take me home. Maybe I wasn't 'Sad Girl' anymore, but I wasn't this person either, the one surrounded by fake smiles and even faker conversation. I'd very much preferred being holed up in my art studio at home with lead and ink smudged all over my clothes.

Every person I passed or bumped into seemed to zap away at my energy, and if that wasn't enough, their ill intentions radiated from them in heavy, potent waves. So much clear and obvious jealousy and hatred, all because they thought this faux-relationship between Clark and I was real. It was almost enough to make me want to end it. Just as I started to focus on that thought, an arm snaked around my waist, pulling me from my internal dialogue.