Ready Freddy

Every spare moment that Harry could find between studying for finals and Christmas shopping he's been spending on his song. Surprisingly, Harry didn't seem to have a huge issue learning the song and he's already more than halfway done with it.

After a particularly eventful practice session, Harry finds himself glancing down at his phone. He hadn't gotten around to actually inviting anyone to his event yet, but he figured he would in due time. Now, with the event less than two weeks away, he figures he should at least let a couple of people know.

He unlocks his phone and clicks on the icon at the bottom to go through his contacts. Truthfully, he has no clue where to start. There's not a ton of people that Harry trusts himself to be open with, although it's something that he's been working on.

His eyes fall on one contact, and he clicks on it before he has time to psych himself out of it. His phone rings twice before Harry manages to put it to his ear. As the ringing fills his head, Harry fears that this was a mistake, to begin with. Finally, he hears the line click, and a familiar voice washes over him.

"Harry?"

Truthfully, he's surprised that his mother picked up at all and it's been a while since he's heard her voice. He figures that he should apologize for fucking up Thanksgiving, but that will have to come later. If he's going to do this, he has to do it now.

"Hey, Mom, I was uh... kinda planning something at my apartment. I started playing the piano recently and I was... well... I've been practicing this song and I'm inviting people to come over and listen to me play. It would mean a lot to me... if you'd come."

"Of course, I'll be there, Honey. I'm glad you started playing it. You always wanted to as a kid," His mother says. There's a fondness in her voice that Harry hasn't heard in a while.

"I know, that's why I started. Well, uh... I'll see you then, then."

"Alright, I love you."

~_~_~

Christmas was never one of Harry's favorite holidays. Even in his youth Harry didn't spend his days counting down until Santa broke into their home and left generic gifts under an artificial tree. That's not to say he didn't enjoy the holiday, he did. Presents and sweets were always welcomed. His birthday was always his favorite as a child. It was like Christmas except it was all for Harry. No one else got special treatment and Harry got all the presents and sweets for himself. In his more recent years, Harry prefers holidays that give him an excuse to drink and have a good time. New Year's or Fourth of July are his favorites now.

This year, however, is different. There's something in the air that builds excitement within Harry. He went out and bought a tree for the first time and decorated himself. Of course, it was nowhere near as beautiful as the one back home or out of the catalogs, but it was good enough for him.

His newfound holiday cheer heightened even more with the conclusion of the semester. Harry's semester went better than any of his previous years in school. With the help of Taylor, he managed to pull together a couple of solid B's and even an A in one of his classes. All of the time that he had allotted to studying for his finals Harry now put towards planning for his recital in two days.

"I think it sounds great, Harry," Taylor explains as Harry finishes playing the song for her.

"Thanks. I think it could use some work in the second verse, I keep messing up the chords in one section," Harry sighs.

"It sounds great, don't stress out so much about it. I promise nobody will even be able to tell, I know I didn't. Just focus on having a good time and enjoying yourself," Taylor explains. He knows that she's right, but he doesn't want her to be. Harry knows that he's being critical of himself, but it's the only thing he knows how to do.

"How many people did you invite?"

"Well, I invited a few of the DG girls, so some of them may show up. You said you invited your mom, but I think your sister may try to show up too. How many people did you tell," Taylor asks. Harry glances down at his hands, trying to tally everyone he may have mentioned it to.

Truth be told, Harry didn't really invite anyone besides his mother. The only other people he could think to invite were Taylor, who was already showing up; Niall; or Louis, but Louis and he still aren't talking. Sure, Harry could probably fill the room with faces and names he vaguely remembers, but this recital means so much to him and he doesn't want to plague it with acquaintances.

"Are you ready," Taylor questions.

Harry considers this. He's practiced the song nearly a thousand times in the last couple of days. Catering is in charge of the snacks and beverages, so he doesn't have to worry about that. Emotionally, Harry's not sure. He's tried his best to keep his emotions from spilling over in the days leading up to this, but it's been a challenge. The last couple of months have altered him, no matter how much he's tried to shy away from admitting it. Despite it all, he realizes now that maybe the changes haven't all been for the worse.

"I think I am."