Chapter 19: The Masked Tutor

Alexis

I maybe screaming but I could no longer hear anything, as the pounding in my ears wouldn't stop. The throbbing around my skull feels like someone banging a giant gong right next to my head. Again, I am blinded by the colorful flashing spots as I struggle against the force.

Squeezing my eyes shut, I scream in pain. My bones begin to give in, and I stagger back. I am helpless to this sensation, my father had given his life to this cause, Elvira had fought till her dying breath to protect me, so many people had put their faith in me. And I have disappointed everyone; their sacrifices are now meaningless. Their deaths are now meaningless. I am as weak as Asmodeus, maybe even weaker than him. Ultimately, the Aether will take over my body and that will be the end.

"Concentrate!" I could only hear Ethan's firm, vigilant voice. I fight to see him, but the pain in between my eyes makes it impossible to do so.

The force from his flames tries to sweep me off my feet. I let out a screeching cry, that echoes in the empty forest.

"I'm trying!" I cry out.

"Try harder!" He yells.

"I can't hold it anymore!" Tears escape my eyes; my vision turns blurry again. The heat reaches to my brain, and I already know what's coming next.

A rumbling sound of thunder and a flash of pure white light. And I'm blown away.

...

The canopy of the forest, looks like drought cracks on dry earth; barren and lifeless. The 4'O clock sun flares overhead as the days keep getting hotter.

Sweat trickles down my face and into my hair, I close my eyes. A shooting pain strikes the muscles of my back and shoulder. I feel like an elastic band that has been stretched too often and has now been tossed to the corner of the room.

A gentle breeze blows over my face, regardless I stay fallen on my back against the forest floor. My heart beats steadily against my chest.

"Get up!" I open my eyes to find him standing over me. The only emotion displayed in his hazels is pure anger. His voice is commanding as always.

I roll over my stomach and curl up into a ball on the grass.

"We don't have time for this. Come on." He speaks.

I don't budge. I know I should obey him, but I can't anymore.

Ethan's been blasting his flames at me for the past 3 hours, and the only thing saving me was a fire shield, that is too tough to hold up.

Today we changed our training regimen from offenses to defenses. Since the past one week, we learnt everything, from blasting fire-balls at woods to slashing giant logs with the fire-swords; a flaming hot sword, that was entirely projected and generated from the fire essence. Today, we are supposed to learn the defensive techniques. Though, it's only been 3 hours, my resistance is already in crumbles. I can only hope, this whole thing to be a nightmare and wait for the alarm to wake me up.

"Alex, I want you up at the count of 3." His voice pisses me off at this point.

"1"

Firstly, He acts like a complete Jack-ass, I am covered in bruises and cuts, since day 1, and he has done nothing about it! When I complain, he will tell me to 'Man up' and deal with it.

"2"

Secondly, when we ran out of food, couple of days ago, He goes to the town. And, the only thing he gets is eggs and all kinds of green veggies. He expects me to eat broccoli, freaking broccoli!! My hair is out of place, I haven't had a good sleep in almost 2 weeks, I am tired of this shit! And he keeps boxing me around; telling me how I should take responsibility and stop whining like a four-year-old. Well, I got news for him, I don't care anymore!