Ten

Monday morning rolled around with the usual blaring of his alarm, still set to wake him at six in the morning with its shrill and sudden cry, one that he kept promising to himself that he would change but had never gotten around to.

Luckily, he'd grown accustomed to the suddenness of the alarm so it no longer jolted him awake in surprise, in fact in the most recent months he'd already be rousing a few minutes before the alarm would go off.

With a long breath in through his nose and another one out of his mouth, he threw the covers to one side and got up, mechanically going from his bedroom to the bathroom to shower and brush his teeth then from the bathroom to the bedroom to dress.

He didn't need to do it the Midgardian way and could save time by simply using his abilities to get some of the jobs done quicker, but he felt a little more normal to work on a routine and to do things without relying on magic.

Though he'd still dry his hair using magic, feeling that the drip-dry method took too long while not exactly being fond of the noise a hairdryer would make at that early of an hour.

So, with a small wave of magic, his hair dried in no time just as he pulled on some boxers and grabbed a green, well pressed dress shirt from the back of the chair by his wardrobe, where he'd typically keep his clothes well laid out, ready for the next day.

He was already dressed, tucked in and brushing back his hair when it clicked into place that he didn't need to be doing any of this, that it was his first official day off and that he was getting ready purely through muscle memory.

Dropping his arms limply to his sides in defeat, he looked into the mirror that made up the wardrobe door and stared at the done face of his reflection.

"You could have told me," he said, shaking his head as he looked over his outfit.

With a sigh of resignation, he rolled his eyes and let a wave of magic wash over him, changing his work clothes into black jeans and a green hoodie in the blink of an eye.

Then he stood there, doing nothing as he lingered for a strange moment, his mind going completely blank as he stared into the mirror without actually taking anything in.

He felt strangely lost, unsure of what to do with himself now that he wasn't meddling with other realm affairs and this was only morning one, what was he going to feel like by the end of the week?

Eventually, after a good couple of minutes of silent zoning out, he snapped back to reality with a shake of his head, grabbed his phone from the bedside table and then headed to the kitchen, his stomach ready for some food.

There was something cold about the kitchen as he stepped inside, the metallic edges of the wooden boards and the silver sheen of the fridge cutting into a thick tension that resonated in the quiet space.

On autopilot, he set about making himself a coffee and a bowl of muesli, sitting at his usual corner of the dark wood table that sat in the middle of the room between the sink and the fridge, bordered by the metal of the sideboards.

He tucked in as always, looking out of the window as daylight slowly started to filter in to wake up the rest of the world.

There was no birdsong, no sounds of the street below from his floor.

There was nothing and Loki felt an uncomfortable pit form in his stomach, contrasting against the fact that he was filling it, but he pushed it aside and continued on to finish his meal, clean up and then head back to the living room.

He slowly looked around the room, his eyes falling to the seat with the book beside it and then the still locked front door, his tongue running along his bottom lip as he considered his options.