Deep Sadness

A/N- Wrote this because I just finished Childe's story quest and I still have a little residual hatred left for his brother lmao... also I feel like I don't have enough angst in this book so this chapter I will probably be murdering Y/N's and Childe's emotions while blasting K-pop ballads in my headphones. Yay, fun! Let's get into it.

You woke up to the sounds of a young boy's voice from above you, and the sounds of something scrabbling on the earth, also from above you.

When you looked up to see what was happening, you noticed Teucer, Childe's brother, sitting up at the top of the dungeon, trying to get the rope ladder down to you. It had been tied around two metal stakes, most likely last night while you were sleeping, so that you couldn't try and reach up to get it. Teucer had managed to untie one of the sides, and was hard at work on the other one.

"Teucer, what are you doing here? You're going to get yourself hurt!" you cried out, knowing how much Childe loved his brother and how much it would hurt him to see the young boy hurt.

"I had to save you. You're so nice to me! And you make my brother happy. I don't care if I get hurt."

The knot gave, and the ladder fell down into the hole. You saw your escape route in front of you, and the enthusiasm in Teucer's eyes, telling you wordlessly to hurry up. But something stopped you from doing it. You stayed stock still, until you heard the loud voices of Fatui guards coming closer to you.

With all your strength, you sped up the ladder and threw yourself onto the ground, hoping to grab Teucer and hide him before he could be spotted. But it was too late. The guards had already reached you. And they didn't look too happy.

"Run, boy!" you screamed at the top of your lungs, charging the nearest guard.

"Ooh, I want to fight too!" Teucer exclaimed, running at a large, heavily armored man that was armed with a hammer that looked to be twice his size, which was also charged with electro. He threw his arms around the man and tried to push him to the ground, but obviously, that didn't work, and the man threw him off like he was a small fly, slamming his body against the wall.

You cried out when you saw blood leaking from the boy's mouth, and tears escaping from his eyes. The precious child had been badly hurt by that strike. You wouldn't let that stupid guard live for much longer! You needed to avenge his wounds.

"Get out of the way, stupid boy!" the electro hammer man yelled, diving at Teucer.

With all the speed and courage you could possibly muster, you threw your body in front of the boy. The hammer struck your shoulder and you felt a flash of pain and heard the loud crack of your bones breaking. The pain only made you fight harder. You got right back up on your feet and took a mallet from one of the Fatui agents you had downed already. You flung the mallet hard at the electro hammer man, but he caught it on his thick armor, and it didn't deal any damage.

Suddenly, you heard the whisper of a voice from behind you.

"Got you."

"No! Get off of her!" Teucer cried out. You felt his back brush against yours, then heard him scream a wordless scream, pushing himself off of you like a springboard and launching himself onto the assailant behind you, distracting him so that you could finish him off. Nothing could go wrong, right?

Wrong. Very wrong.

The man in question was armed with a knife, which he plunged into the child's heart the moment he got near to him. You heard the desperate cry of Teucer's small voice, begging for help, and expressing pain, then heard the sound of a knife being pulled from a body. At that moment, you knew that the boy had been killed. You felt sick to your stomach. How could someone do that to a young child, who had their whole life ahead of them?

You heard a man's voice crying out Teucer's name, and you immediately knew, without looking, that it was Childe. You cursed yourself, as tears ran down your cheeks and your shoulder pulsed with pain. If only you had been faster! If only you had been more cautious! If only...

You heard Childe cry out, and then the two men fell dead at your side, arrows piercing their foreheads.

Oh God, you thought, feeling like you were about to faint. So much death... and I could prevent it all, if only I had obeyed.

"Teucer! Please, don't leave me!"

Childe had rushed to the young boy's side immediately, cradling his small body in his arms and crying out his name, over and over, as the blood poured from a wound in his chest- a wound that you knew had killed him.

"Please..." Childe was begging through choking sobs, "don't leave this world, brother. Don't stray away from me, from your family who loves you. I can't survive without you, your precious smile, your beautiful soul. Please..."

"It's no use," you whispered, cursing yourself, your reflexes, your pain, and your lack of intelligence. All of them had led to this tragic fate. "He's already dead. He took a knife wound to the chest to save me."

"You... oh, my God! You're hurt as well... my love is hurt by her own comrades! Forgive me, my precious one, but I didn't have the courage to come faster. When I heard the noises of battle, I prayed that it wasn't you... that... that-"

He cut off and buried his head in his hands, crying out like his heart had just been pierced and torn into millions of pieces.

"Teucer... my lovely brother, my adventurous sweetheart. Teucer, why did you leave me? Why did you leave me? Why?"

He kept on repeating that phrase- Why did you leave me?- while sobbing uncontrollably. You couldn't even comfort him, as your heart was too heavy to even attempt speaking. You just reached your arms out and enveloped the love of your life in a half-hearted hug.

To your surprise, he responded almost immediately, holding onto you as tightly as he could.

"I don't want you to leave me," he sobbed. "Stay in my arms forever, never leave."

"I will stay with you until my last breath, love," you responded, kissing him with all the passion in your soul. "This is my promise, sealed in this pain and blood, now."

A/N- oml this chapter was one of my worst chapters ever... clearly the idea I saw in my brain was better than what I typed out. But hey, it advanced the romance between Y/N and Childe, so maybe it's not too bad. I hope you enjoyed this sad, terrible chapter. Next chapter will be better.