Chapter Sixteen

"It's a look patients get in their eyes. There is a scent, the smell of death. Some kind of sixth sense. When the great beyond is heading for you, you feel it coming. What's the one thing you've always dreamed of doing before you die? Okay, hello? Clearly not my dream. See, I told you. Not my dream" 

"maybe it's time to let the old ways die. takes a lot to change a man, hell, it takes a lot to try"

Cristina and Lucy stood in Meredith's room. "So, you have a feeling?" Lucy asked Meredith who still lay in bed. "I feel like I might die", Meredith said. "Everyone dies eventually", Cristina deadpanned. "But now we're late". "But", Lucy said. "We're gonna be supportive for a second and listen to what she has to say". "The man I love has a wife that he chose over me", Meredith said. "Addison has my McDreamy and my McDog and I have nothing. I can't remember the last time we kissed, because you never know when the last time is the last time. Also, my conditioner stopped working and I think I have brittle bones. I need something to happen. I need some hope in order to convince myself to go on. In the absence of hope, I'm gonna stay in bed and feel like I might die". Cristina and Lucy looked at each other and smirked. They jumped on the bed. "Everyone has problems", Cristina said. "Yeah, stop being a little bitch", Lucy added. Cristina kicked Meredith out of the bed.

The interns were waiting at the ambulance bay. Lucy and Alex stood a bit away from the rest. "Look, about last night", Alex began. "Don't. You don't have to say anything", Lucy said.

"No, I was out of line. You're right, I'm not your boyfriend"

"Yeah. You're not"

They stared at each other for a minute before Lucy cleared her throat and broke eye contact. "Which resident are we gonna have to suck up to today?" Cristina wondered. "That would be me", Bailey said as she came out of the ER. "I've been gone 2 weeks and my interns have managed to run off two residents. People are phoning me at home to complain about you when I'm supposed to be on bed rest". George stepped forward and hugged her. "Get off me!" she exclaimed. "O'Malley, page Addison. Kepner, wheelchair? The rest of you can wait for the ambulance". "What should I tell Dr Montgomery Shepherd, Bailey?" George wondered. There was a sound of splashing water. "Tell her my contractions are 10 minutes apart and my water broke all over your shoes", she answered. Holly and George took Bailey inside.

Alex, Lucy, Cristina and Meredith went to the arriving ambulance. A screaming woman climbed out. The four interns were surprised to see that one of the paramedics had her hand inside the patient's body cavity.

Mindy just kept on screaming. Alex and Lucy stood in front of her. "Shut her up", Cristina told them as she and Izzie headed to the ambulance bay. "M'am, I'm gonna need you to calm down and answer some questions", Lucy yelled at the woman. She continued to scream. Lucy looked at Alex and shrugged. Alex approached the woman and screamed in her face. This made her stop screaming and she started sobbing uncontrollably and fell into Alex's chest. Lucy started laughing.

Mindy got into a gown. "I'm very surprised that all the blood on her clothes wasn't hers", Nurse Tyler said. "Her acute anxiety attack from earlier aside, she's fine". "We gave her some meds to calm her down", Alex said. "I'm absolutely in shock", Mindy said. "I'm going to kill my husband for scaring me like this". Someone then entered the ER looking for Mindy. "You and James are idiots", she said to him. "You put on costumes and play with your self-made toys". "We reenact World War II, which is not playing", Paul defended.

"You and James built a bazooka replica and shot it in the backyard"

"Hold on, did James shoot himself with a bazooka?" Alex asked. They nodded. "Was there an explosion?" Lucy asked. "No", Paul said. Lucy and Alex shared alarmed looks and ran off.

Right before Burke began to cut, Alex and Lucy burst in. "We need to talk", Alex said. Burke walked over to them. "Is there an exit wound?" Lucy asked. "No, why?" Burke asked. Alex sighed before explaining the situation.

George, Izzie and Lucy sat in the locker room. As George and Izzie had a conversation, Lucy zoned out as she looked at Alex at the coffee cart. "Go tell him", Izzie said. "What?" Lucy said, snapping out of her daze.

"Go tell Alex you like him"

Lucy smiled and ran off to the coffee cart.

Lucy approached him as he finished getting his coffee. "Alex-", she started. "It's like the apocalypse", he said.

"Alex-"

"Half of the staff were meant to be saving lives but fled the building to save themselves"

"Alex-"

"Bailey's husband almost died trying to get here to see his kid, and the annoying sisters might blow up"

"Alex-"

"It's like a morgue here"

"Alex!"

"What?"

"Come with me"

She dragged him to an on-call room and shut the door. "I'm so sick of all the temptation. It's like this heat I can't escape but you frustrate me", Lucy said. "What?" Alex said.

"The temptation between you and me"

"Us?"

"I like you, Alex. I like you a lot. I'm scared of it but I want to give this a shot. Do you?"

Alex grabbed her face and kissed her. When they pulled away, their noses were touching. "So, you want to do this with me?" Alex asked her. "Yeah, I do", she said before kissing him.

hope you enjoyed! comment your opinions! song is maybe it's time by bradley cooper