𝐈

--------------------

......

...

..

.

[CHECKING SYSTEMS....]

....

..

.

[ALL SYSTEMS CLEAR]

[THIRIUM LEVELS 100%]

[ALL VITAL SYSTEMS ACTIVE]

..

His eyes open for the first time in a long while. The first thing he sees is a woman standing next to him. A technician, to be exact.

"KJ400, register your name."

[REGISTERING NAME]

"Karl."

[NAME REGISTERED]

"My name is Karl."

* * *

...

[ OBJECTIVE: FIND DET. DREAM ] 

Karl scans around the precinct, searching the area until a familiar face appears in front of him. He doesn't need to do a facial scan on the detective to see how upset he looked.

"Good afternoon, Detective. My name is Karl. I-"

"Shut up." He grumpily cuts him off, his eyes darting away from Karl's own. The sound of his voice alone was a reminder of how much Dream loved him.

And how much he misses the old Karl.

He knows that Karl could no longer reciprocate the love that he once had in him, the loving care that was evident in his voice was now a deadpanned, dull, tone.

Though he had the same features, it wouldn't be enough to change the fact that this Karl now was just a ghost of his past. Like an empty, hollow shell of himself. He might as well get a whole new different partner, because this wasn't the Karl he fell in love with.

He wants his partner back.

And not in this robotic state.

* * *

The drive home was awkward. Neither knew how to start up a conversation that would last longer than two sentences.

"Detective, you have been upset the entire time since I've met you. May I ask why?"

Dream says nothing, only furrowing his eyebrows. "That's none of your business." He replies coldly. Karl couldn't possibly understand the pain that squelched his heart. Not anymore, anyways.

The Karl he loved as a partner is gone.

He had to accept that.

--------------------