𝐈𝐈

--------------------

As Karl entered the home, a small meow caught his attention. He looks down to see the cat purring against his leg, missing his presence. It had only been a two or three days since his absence, and a lot has changed about him. He takes a moment to process it, only for him to walk away. 

"Do you need anything, Detective?" Karl followed behind Dream, who seemed to slouch depressingly on the couch. "No, just uh... don't call me detective anymore, okay? Just call me Dream, for fucks sake." He takes out a  box of cigarettes and a lighter. Old habits die hard.

Karl nodded, "I would advise you to refrain from smoking, De- Dream. It lowers your efficiency in--"

"Just, stop talking. Please."

The android nods, and leaves the room to let Dream be.

* * *

It was a fairly normal work day on a Monday afternoon-- well, almost normal, at least. It was a busy day, and new cases were piling up.

"Dream."

He was already used to calling him by his first name. That's.. good, but he was probably just following orders, like he was originally made to do.

"There has recently been a murder at the apartment near Eden's Club--."

Dream zones out what Karl had to say, and quickly got up out of his seat. "Less talking, more driving."

Great, another homicide case.

* * *

Slamming the car door shut, Dream made his way towards the room surrounded with holographic crime scene tapes. Flashing his badge out, he was instantly allowed inside to see the  gruesome scene before his eyes. The smell was putrid, and it flared his nostrils. 

In the middle of the living room lies parts of a dismantled android. Thirium was splattered everywhere, the blue liquid still freshly dripping down the walls.

He turns away, letting Karl do a full scan of what was left of the android. Maybe he'd take a look at something else, to gather clues; Karl was always better at that, though. But it wouldn't hurt to try.

He watches the android casually and carefully walk around the body in search of more clues. His face was so drained of any life in it that it was hard to believe that this android once had feelings.