Chapter 42

Saturday

With my heart in a fist, I take the curling iron and comb my hair, sliding waves that fall soberly on my shoulders. It's not the big detail but beside my little habit to fix myself, it's a refined touch.

However, the mirror brings back the occasion I spoke to Charlie in his car...

"Believe me, at first I was very confused," he excused himself. "I beg your pardon, perhaps I rushed to send you that note."

She brought me serious problems with Charlotte, she is none other than my best friend!

"I know, but believe me, I can't take care of something beyond my strength."

The meaning, the weight of his last words was what left me speechless and I decided not to answer.

I just wish with all my being that it was a terrible confusion on Charlie's part. The last thing I want is to fall into perdition myself.

Once I finish my hairstyle, I return to reality and the true reflection of the full-body crystal in front of me.

I have put on a pink bubblegum dress that lowers my knees a little and I wonder if my style is not too childish.

As soon as I find myself ready, I let out a little cry and wonder at the result.

The last time I put on this garment, more than chewing gum, it looked like a balloon about to burst, however now I notice that it fits better to my hips.

I wish Lottie was here to advise me, but no. She's not here.

"Mom!!" I let out a scream.

She immediately comes to my call and when she meets a desperate daughter in front of the mirror, her heart returns to its place.

"One day you're going to kill me," she says and then stops to see my style. "Well, Richard's not wrong to give you gifts."

"He makes me present like a 12-year-old."

"Your age is not far from that," she says, entering the room and straightening my hair so that I release one shoulder and fall on the other.

"I'm 17." I corrected her.

"At my age, five years are the ones I take off when I say how many I have, so they have no value," she jokes.

I also laugh and I like that we get along like this. I wish I never had to fight with her again, however that would mean that she would accept my adult choices and that's the hard part.

"So it suits me?" I ask.

She rejoins her gesture to a much warmer smile.

"Oh, wait," she adds and puts her hands around her neck. Hell, no...

Suddenly she takes off a very nice golden necklace that enhances both her olive skin and each of her pinkish features that I have inherited from her. She puts it on me and I'm stunned.

"Look at you," she insists and I turn around.

I stand in front of the mirror and the necklace combines very nicely with the waves of dark hair that fall to the side of my shoulders.

"Perfect," she says to my ear as we both keep our eyes fixed on my appearance.

I feel like I can finally have a much bolder style however I stay true to myself.

"Thanks, Mom."

"You're welcome. Although, you know what? Maybe you have too much eyeliner," of course, it ruins it. At that moment the doorbell rings and she suddenly departs. "Well, there's no time to get that makeup off, so you better come down or your partner tonight will run out."