IX

I sit in the choir room, Kitty sits beside me slowly. We got here early so we could just have some time alone. Plus, I wanted her here.
"Why did you want to come here early?"
"I wanna tell you something." I turn in my chair.
"You know the whole talk Will had about things being our last moment in case this asteroid thing is real?"
"Yeah?"
"I feel like I should tell you just in case."
"I'm scared." She smiles slightly.
I hold her hands, looking down at them and admiring how well they fit together.
"I love you, Kitty."
We look each other in the eyes, staying quiet. I gulp, feeling stupid about admiting this.
"I love you too." She smiles wide. "You're amazing."

We start talking until something rings out, the lights go off and my uncle locks the door. We crawl under anything we can and stay quiet. I hold my girlfriend tightly, trying to keep my breathing under control. Not again.
"You okay?" Kitty whispers softly.
I manage to shake my head, keeping my eyes closed tight. I've been through this before, this is terrifying.
"You're okay." She holds my face. "Just focus on me."
We huddle together, Marley and I both text our parents and hope they're okay. Kitty leans over and sobs.
"When we were in Grease, I took in all of your costumes."
I look at her in shock, trying to process everything. Including Sam trying to break out. My dad hasn't text back yet. Why hasn't he text me back? I stand up and take a run at the door. Will grabs me along with coach Beiste.
"My dad is out there." I whisper angrily.
"You could get hurt." Will frowns.
"Screw that, he's out there." I kick him off.
"Tucker!"
Kitty rushes in front of me, pushing against my chest.
"Sit down."
"Don't talk to me, when this is over we're gonna have a serious talk, but right now I'm going to find my dad."
"Please." She frowns.
"Tucker." Marley sobs. "My mom is with your dad, they're both fine...look." I go and sit back with them to look at the text.
Artie shoves his phone in my face for I guess my last words.
"In my closet, there's a box in there is a written will...including my funeral plans, a recipe book and letters to my parents...do whatever you want as them and my mom is not invited to the funeral."

I sit in my car, thankful that everything is finally over. I don't even care that my car is going to stink of cigarettes. I just need to calm down, I hear the door close.
"Can we talk?"
"Why did you do that to Marley?" I turn to look at Kitty.
"I was jealous...it was stupid, I know and when that happened I had to say something."
"You turned Marley bulimic." I frown.
"I know." She looks at her hands. "I'm sorry, I don't want to lose you."
"There's something I have to tell you." I sigh. "That wasn't my first lockdown, I've done that before...this time though, I was even more terrified because I thought I would lose you, my friends, my dad...everything."
We look at each other silently.
"And when you told me that's what you did to Marley, it reminded me that I used to hurt myself."
"I'm sorry, I'll never do it again." I watch the tears fall from her eyes.
I open my arms up, letting her fall into them. We both just hold each other and cry softly.
"I love you." Kitty sobs.
"I love you too, beautiful." I kiss her head softly.
"Beautiful?" She sniffles.
I hold her cheeks, wiping the tears from her eyes.
"I think you're absolutely gorgeous." I smile through my own tears.
"You're the sweetest."
"We all make mistakes." I shrug.
I look over and panic, jumping out my car.
"Whats wrong?" Kittt frowns.
"I need to get to my locker." I rush inside quickly and try to reach my locker before the cops.
One of the cops grabs me and holds me back while they tear apart my locker. Kitty runs over, also being stopped by another officer.
"This yours?"
"That's mine..." I sigh.
"Tucker." Kitty gasps. "Why do you have a knife?"

My dad stands next to Figgins, both staring me down. My uncle walks in and looks at me.
"Wanna explain it?" My dad sighs.
"Its not what you think." I sit back. "I bought it at this store for cooking and left it in my backpack, panicked and threw it in my locker weeks ago."
"Promise me." My dad looks me right in my eyes.
I dig into my wallet and hand him the piece of paper.
"The proof of purchase."
"Just...don't do it again." The officer frowns.
"Don't worry, I won't."

This week has been torture, I just want to be left alone to chill for a while. Kitty is probably gonna stay the weekend and that's fine because she's gonna just let me play my games. I open the door to the house and drop my bag.
"That's not what we taught you now is it?"
My head snaps up at that voice.
"Mom?!"