08 : 𝖠𝗅𝗅 𝖥𝗈𝗋 𝖠 𝖡𝗎𝗀

[🕰️]

They must be out of their minds.

Second weekly trials came around fast within the third week. Nine of the ladies proceeded to an enclosed room one morning, silently complaining and dragging as to why they had to rise so early.

Lady Dalja was already in there, looking oddly enthusiastic than before. A cushioned mat was laid on the floor for them to sit on. Trays of colorful beads and small bowls were there too. Y/N stared at the items, trying to process what their next duty was all about.

"Good morning," Lady Dalja greeted. "I suppose everyone had a decent rest last night."

"Yes, Your Grace!" Seona's hand shot up. "I dreamed about marrying Prince Soobin too. Isn't that wonderful?"

Lady Dalja gave her an 'I-did-not-ask' look but nodded nevertheless. Y/N and Jungyeon lowly scoffed, heads turning away from the rubbish.

"I wish I could dream about it too." Nayoung beamed. "Lady Seona must be seeing the future. It is clear who's going to be chosen as Empress."

"Then will you care to say why you're still here?" Y/N spat. "If you think that Lady Seona will take the crown, then you should have done yourself a favor and left in surrender."

"Lady Y/N," Lady Dalja called. "Hold your tongue."

Y/N slightly bowed in apology. Seona flashed an innocent grin to Lady Dalja and tucked her wavy strands of hair behind her ear— she even adjusted the blooming carnation she poked on her head.

"I do believe in premonitions," Seona shyly uttered. "Maybe Lady Nayoung was right. I could be His Highness' future bride."

The rest of the girls blinked at her. Reading the room, it was only Nayoung who was ridiculously impressed. So, Seona belted a nervous laugh, writhing her hands in the air to disregard her statement.

"It.. It's just a dream.." She stammered. "Goodness.. Of course.. Everyone deserves the throne.. Please, don't mind me.. Forget what I said.."

"As we should." Lady Dalja narrowed her eyes. "Now that Lady Seona is done with her wee sentiments, I urge you all to lend me your ears."

The ladies sat down on the mat, buttocks resting on the heels of their feet. Jungyeon winced. It felt uncomfortable. Lady Dalja gestured a few servants to come over to distribute the trays to each participant.

"In your hands are a thousand beads of various colors," Lady Dalja paced around. "Sort them in the bowls within an hour and you will be rewarded with an advancement to the throne."