15 : 𝖳𝗁𝖾 𝖠𝖻𝖽𝗎𝖼𝗍𝗂𝗈𝗇

[☠️]

[Y/N's POV]

Later that afternoon, Jungyeon and I laid on our beds. Right after we went to the village, we both headed to our room to rest. It was exhausting. The longer we stayed outside, the denser the crowd grew. We could barely walk past unless the guards shove them away- which upset me.

"You know what I'm thinking, Y/N?" Jungyeon chirped.

I turned my head to her.

"It's crazy out of fourteen ladies, I managed to squeeze to this prestigious moment." She bitterly smiled. "I thought I couldn't make it."

"You did perfectly well in all the ridiculous quests though." I pointed out. "There's no doubt you would last. I am more baffled over the fact that the other two made it to this point."

"What a very indirect way of throwing shade towards Seona and Nayoung." Jungyeon laughed. "I like it a lot."

I lightly exhaled through my nose. I sat up and so did she. She got up from her mattress, walked up to me, and propped to my side. Jungyeon took off her golden bracelet.

"Here," she held my wrist and put it on around. "It suits you better."

"Jungyeon," I frowned. "You paid for this."

"It didn't really cost me much. I can get myself another one next time anyway. You'll look better with that thing on you tonight."

I smiled at her thoughtfulness. Jungyeon heaved a heavy sigh and collapsed to my bed. She sprawled her arms widely, staring up at the ceiling. I gave her a confused look.

"I don't think they've chosen me." She croaked. "I have a gut feeling, they just didn't."

I guiltily pursed my lips. Jungyeon brought a hand over her eyes to cover them. She wasn't crying but she did seem sad over the thought. Jungyeon, I truly am sorry. I know you wanted not only His Highness but also the crown. I clutched my chest. I felt a prick in my heart, terrible that I sort of stabbed her in the back.

"However," she fiddled with her fingers up in the air. "It's fine with me. I don't mind losing this selection, to be honest. My parents are surely proud to know that I have made it this far."

"Why is that?"

"I have high hopes for you, that's why." She beamed at me. "You are truly deserving for the crown, Y/N. If not me, then it better be you sitting next to His Highness."

"I thought you love him," I gulped. "Didn't you say so?"

"Well, yes. But I would hate to force something if it's not meant to happen. Besides, I can go and love someone else in later time. The world does not limit to Prince Soobin alone."

Jungyeon stretched with a slight moan. She swung her feet over the floorboard and sprung to her heels, standing still. She turned to me with a bright expression painted on her face.

"I shall go check the mail. My family promised me a parcel today."

"Alright."

She waved goodbye like a child before marching out of the room. I pursed my lips, got up, and sat in front of the vanity mirror. I looked at my reflection staring warily at me. I inched closer. My lips were a little dry and parted. I touched them.