13 : 𝖸𝗈𝗎 𝖣𝖾𝗌𝖾𝗋𝗏𝖾 𝖳𝗁𝖾 𝖢𝗋𝗈𝗐𝗇

[👑]

Four ladies sat outside Prince Soobin's room, an hour after Kyongeun's incident happened. From the door to last was Nayoung, Jungyeon, Seona, and Y/N.

Silence enveloped them. As much as they wanted to talk, but their friends were one person apart. Y/N could sense Seona tensing on her chair. She could tell that the girl wanted to burst, but due to the Emperor's warning, she was just holding it in.

Two guards stood in front of them to ensure no one dared to start another commotion as well as keep an eye to the Prince.

"His Royal Highness is ready," a servant announced from the room. "Hwang Nayoung, you may enter."

Nayoung got up from her spot and trodded inside. She looked back for Seona but her colleague was staring ahead. The servant stepped out to give the girl and the Prince their privacy. As soon as the door slid shut, Nayoung stiffened. Prince Soobin's room was heavily silent.

"Please, move closer." Prince Soobin's voice called.

She nodded. He was sitting behind his desk, a book propped open on his hands. There was a neat heap of unfinished papers beside him, an unscrewed ink bottle, and dry quill. Nayoung gave a polite bow before he gestured her to sit.

"I will be only asking you one question," he closed his book. "We wouldn't be taking too long."

"Yes, Your Highness."

"Why do you think you deserve to be the next Empress of Jeongdu?"

Nayoung gripped on her skirt. She looked down on the polished floor, forehead wrinkled.

"Uh.." She licked her lips nervously. "..because.. I have done well through all the tasks the High Court and Their Majesties have given. I possess the grace, poise, patience, and creativity that the next Empress should embrace. That's.. That's it.."

Prince Soobin arched a brow. He dipped his quil to the ink and bluntly scribbled to a parchment. Nayoung gulped, feeling unsatisfied of her response. A sigh escaped the Prince's lips before he met her glossy gaze.

"Are you certain that you're through, Lady Nayoung? You might want to add something."

"No, I insist that I'm finished, Your Highness."

"Very well.." He shrugged. "Off you go."

Nayoung quickly stood and abandoned the room in shame. Right after she emerged from the doors, the servant motioned for Jungyeon to come next. Nayoung walked past the girl and hurried straight outside. Seona batted an eye to her friend but immediately looked the other way. She had no time to emphasize.

"Your Highness?" Jungyeon poked her head in.

"In you get, Lady Jungyeon."

Jungyeon shyly smiled and did as told. She approached Prince Soobin, face reddening in fluster. The Prince gave her a comforting smile before offering her the cushion.

"You seem anxious, Lady Jungyeon."

"A little bit, I confess.."