chapter two

me and diego stayed cleaning the house after everyone left, which kept us up til like 4am... and i had school in the morning. but i wasnt gonna complain cause i actually had a lot of fun.

-hey bry, i appreciate you for keeping it on the dl with the matthew situation today but im serious though, i dont want you starting shit with him- he says casually while i sweep the floor. i love my brother, but sometimes he gets on my last nerves.

-im not starting anything, bro. why are you so invested in defending that pervert anyway? does he have something on you? you scared hes gonna leak your nudes or sumn?

he laughed and i laughed with him, us exchanging a friendly look. i knew he didnt mean any harm or anything like that but i still didnt understand.

-i dont want to start fights, thats all. it never ends good, especially around here. you shouldve learned that by now.

ouch.

that kinda hurt.

a flashback of all the fucked up things i saw as a kid flashed through my eyes, then the picture of my father barely being able to breathe, a bullet wound on his shoulder. i almost teared up for a second but he said that so casually that it made me feel stupid.

rule number two: we don't attack, we just protect. we don't go messing with other gangs and their territory and we dont fight unless we have to.

i didnt like that rule, but i respected it. i knew deep down that it was... necessary.

-i get where youre coming from, but i also cant just sit and watch him bring a different child here every few weeks and say nothing. i worry for them, i have this like, protective instinct.

-im not gonna argue with you cause i know your ass stubborn as hell,- he sighed- and i actually think youre right in this, but...  just try to avoid direct conflict with him. please. for your sake.

-what, do you seriously think he'd do something?- i asked, wondering if i should maybe be concerned. matthew was just such a pussy that i couldnt even imagine him having the balls to do anything like that. he was such a coward he couldnt even go after someone his own age.

-do you think he wouldn't?