ii. getting rid of dead weight

CHAPTER TWO
vol i — bloody fjerdans!

"BIG BOL IS BLEEDING BAD, KAZ—""Good

"Good."
"Kaz, he needs a Medik!"
"No, let the bastard bleed out."

Kaz didn't even look over at Big Bol, too busy taunting Geels in front of him ( it was more important anyway ). "That's the guards name isn't it? Willem Holst and Bert Van Daal? The two city guards on duty tonight. The ones you emptied the Black Tips' coffers to bribe?" Geels is silent. "Willem holst," Kaz said loudly, his voice floating in the silence, rising like smoke, polluting the air. "Likes to gamble almost as much as Jesper does, so your money held a lot of appeal. But Holst has much bigger problems — let's call them urges. I won't go into detail. A secret's not like coin. It doesn't keep its value in the spending. You'll just have to trust me when I say this one would turn even your stomach. Isn't that right, Holst?"

The response was another gunshot, this time was closer to Geels' feet. He jumped back, frightened, looking like he was going to piss himself at the exchange. Geels bellowed, "Shoot him in the head."

Kaz let out a snort of disgust. "Do you really think that secret would die with me? Go one, Holst. Put a bullet in my skull. There will be messengers sprinting to your wife and your watch Captain's door before I hit the ground." When no shot came, Dinara let out a breath, you never know when someone is actually going to kill Kaz.

"How did you even know who would be on duty tonight? I had to pay through the gills to get that roster. You couldn't have outbid me," Geels asked bitterly. He was standing rigid, pissed off that everything he had planned was falling apart each second he talked to Kaz Brekker.

Kaz was starting to stall Geels with all the useless information he had stored in his brain. Rambling on about shame and how men will do anything for coin, very impressive to someone who didn't round up all the information. Dinara tried not to laugh and the obvious taunts Kaz was blowing into Geels' face, watching as the older man didn't understand, thinking Kaz was just being a young kid. Geels face grew redder with each word, while Kaz had a smirk growing bigger by the second. Kaz was going to be playing their final card...Van Daal. Geels went to bellow out the name, only to have no response, it was sad really. Dinara could practically see the steam flying out of Geels ears, ready to throw a temper tantrum.

"Always on step ahead, aren't you?"
"With you? I have a running start?"
"The race isn't over yet."

Dinara's heart stopped when Geels reached into his pocket, pulling out a heavy black pistol. Dinara patted her body down — discreetly — looking for a weapon of some sorts, cursing under her breath when she can't find one, knowing she is going to have to resort to hand-to-hand. "Kaz," Dinara whispered, only to be stopped by his voice.