xxx. under cover

CHAPTER THIRTY
vol ii — home turf

DINARA HAD FOUND herself seated in the lap of a man who's manners were nonexistent in a private room of the Lid's most luxurious gambling dens

DINARA HAD FOUND herself seated in the lap of a man who's manners were nonexistent in a private room of the Lid's most luxurious gambling dens. She had agreed almost immediately to the scheme Kaz had put out in front of her, willing to do anything to get her sister back alive. Wylan was leaning against the wall, a small pout playing at his lips as he was upset about playing waiter. The man across from her lifted his hand, signaling to Wylan that he needed her flute refilled, the small boy running over to do so. Her eyes flickered over to Jesper, who was seated at the table also, his back hunched over, eyes scanning the cards that he held in his hand. Dinara's ass hurt, sitting in the bony thighs of the man who's hands were caressing her skin for over two hours, trying not to smirk as she caught Kaz sending a glare to him every so often.

She liked the power she was holding in this position — Kaz getting riled up and not being able to do anything, while Dinara sunk back into the man's hold, teasing the boy. She was growing bored, no action happening to keep her entertained, her plump lips sometimes whispering words of encouragement to the man she was seated on, wanting him to make sure that he was happy with her. He had ordered copious amounts of oysters ( a food Dinara hated ) and told her to eat as much as she could. She did with a sweet smile, imagining nothing more than slitting his throat with the knife that laid in her bra. The chocolate eyes of Dinara trailed over the bare fingers of Kaz, watching as he sealed out card after card, memorized with the way they moved, the way the could move so flawlessly. The sheer lavender gown that was covering Dinara's body moved with every muscle twitch.

She tried hard to move it down without being noticed, not wanting everything she had to be on display with all the hungry men in sight. The corset was tied tighter than it should have been, crushing her ribs and pushing her cleavage up, making Kaz allow his eyes to wander over every few seconds to admire them. Jesper had folded again, a huff of annoyance escaping his lips. Dinara knew that luck wasn't on his side tonight, making her wonder if she was going to have to step up her game to keep Smeet in the Lid longer. She knew that there was a line of men on the walls, waiting for the moment someone got up from the table, wanting to take their seat and catch a good look at the pretty women on the man's lap, wondering what they could do to take her home for the night.

When Wylan reached down to refill her glass, Smeet leaned in, his warm breath on the skin of Dinara's neck. "A card game is like a duel. It's the little cuts and slashes that set the stage for the final killing stroke," he said as he took a quick glance at Jesper. "That lad is bleeding all over the table."

Dinara forced a giggle, trying to seem like she found the man funny. "I don't know how you keep the rules straight in your head."

"This is nothing compared to managing a business," Smeet said. Dinara could tell that he was gloating, happy that she knew what he did, it gave him power in a way,