xliv. a snag in the plan

CHAPTER FOURTY-FOUR
vol ii — home turf

CHAPTER FOURTY-FOUR vol ii — home turf

EVERYTHING WAS GOING perfectly. Down to the exact time everyone was supposed to be in their places, creeping along the shadows, gathering the information they needed. Dinara wanted to just forget the plan and use one of her daggers and run it through Van Eck's heart, watching as he took his last breath with a sickening smile playing at her lips. She wanted this whole ordeal to be over, wanting to leave this god forbidden place and manage to make a life for herself. She hated the fact that Inej was so willing to risk her well-being just to make sure that Dinara was able to get into the silos. Kaz and Wylan were tasked with getting into the house and grabbing whatever they could to get leverage on the much older man. Dinara was slightly worried about what could happen, Van Eck being unpredictable at moments, so she was worried about the boy's safety.

But she couldn't worry about them too much, she had a job to do after all. Her mind had to stay focused on the task at hand, not needing any small slip-up's that could cause an issue for them later down the road. Well, chaos had come before they had come over to the area the silos were in, Nina meeting an old friend ( Zoya, of course ), Wylan seeing his mother for the first time in years, and Matthias just being a horny bastard. God forbid he live a little and manage to get what he wanted, Nina. And the fact that Nina's power seemed to grow every time she woke up in the morning, which was slightly off putting. Dinara didn't want her to get overwhelmed and accidentally cause a scene because she was unable to control her new powers that managed to stem from the copious amounts of parem she had consumed.

She had a small cut on the inside of her hip, the stupid razor wire cutting into her skin. She had made a stupid judgement, thinking that she had been in the clear, only for one of the blades to going stabbing into her skin, causing red to run down the side of her leg. Nina had somehow convinced Matthias to allow her to come with the girls, wanting to be a part of something after watching from the sidelines for quite a while. Dinara was only slightly cautious about having the Heartrender on the mission, but there wasn't anything she could do, Nina's will power being too much. She had been tasked with putting on a facade and managing to distract the guards so Inej and Dinara could sneak past them, running through the field as they reached the silos without being noticed.

The two climbed the silo silently, reaching the top and taking a moment to look down at the city. The smoke coming from the factories, clouding the streets slightly, but not enough that it would hinder your view. The lights were flickering as some went off in the buildings, while others flickered off, letting you know the clubs and brothels were open for business. If you listened close enough, you were able to hear the loud laughter of the drunks that were on the street, stumbling around as they shouted and made jokes that only made sense to themselves. The moon was bright over there, casting a shadow that landed on the top of the silos, but not bright enough to cause the two to attract attention to themselves. Dinara was thankful that the moon seemed to be on their side, letting them sneak in the darkness and cause the chaos that was meant to happen.