Twenty-Four

Yeosang:
Can we meet? It's important.
I can't sleep. I need to tell you
something

Seonghwa hears his phone ringing in the middle of the night and picks it up to see messages from Yeosang. He sees it's already 12 in the morning.

He sits up on his bed and sighs as he touches his forehead and realizes there's sweat... again. He had that nightmare he has every night.

Seonghwa:
What's so important?

Yeosang:
This involves Hongjoong
Can we please meet
I'm outside your house

Seonghwa:
Ok I'll be right there

Seonghwa gets up from his bed and puts a shirt and some sweatpants on, then slowly walks downstairs and puts his shoes on before walking out of the house, trying not to be heard by his father.

"Hey, Yeosang." He tells him once he's outside.

"Hey..." Yeosang looks down, not knowing how to make this any less awkward.

"I just want to say that I'm really sorry for-"

"It's fine." Yeosang cuts him off. "I didn't come to ask you for an apology or anything. I'm just worried for Hongjoong, that's all."

"What do you mean?"

"Can we talk somewhere else? I'm afraid someone could be listening." He whispers.

"Okay." Seonghwa nods and they get in his car, then start driving around, not having a final destination. "So what's wrong?" He stops the car after a while.

"This is about your father." He tells him. "I'm just going to say it." He sighs. "Back then when we were together... I- I got in a car accident."

"Yeosang, what? Why didn't you tell me?!" Seonghwa asks worriedly.

"We had just broken up... Well, you had just broke up with me, but I don't think your father knew."

"Wh-what do you mean?"

"That I think your father was the one who ordered his men to get me killed." Yeosang says honestly. "There was something wrong with my car." He looks down. "And a few days before our break up, he had sent his men to threaten me."

"Why didn't you tell me anything?!" Seonghwa feels his eyes watering, immediately believing him. He knows how terrible his father is.

He knows that better than anyone.

"And what would you have done?" Yeosang feels his eyes water as well. "You're too scared of him and couldn't have helped out. What were you supposed to do?"

"I-I'm sorry. I know I'm a coward, but I can't help it, Yeosang. I-I... all my life I've had to do everything he tells me to do because I'm so scared of him."

"Then can you really promise that you'll protect Hongjoong from him?"

"I-I-"

"Because if you can't promise that, I think you shouldn't be with him. I'm afraid he'll end up dying for being with you. He did nothing wrong and doesn't deserve to either get his heartbroken or get killed for loving you. I'm not saying this as a jealous ex-boyfriend, I'm saying this as a worried best friend. I don't want anything bad to happen to him... so if you can't assure that you'll protect him, leave him alone."

-

"Good morning, Hongjoong." San smiles as soon as he gets to the convenience store.

"Good morning." He smiles back him.

San looks down and his smile widens since Hongjoong looks so happy, but then he realizes it must be because of Seonghwa.

"You look... happy today."

"I am." He nods repeatedly. "It seems like my life is finally getting better." He smiles. "And thank you, San."

"For what?"

"You set me and Seonghwa up at the coffee shop. I was being so stubborn and I'm sure we wouldn't have been able to talk if you hadn't done that... so thank you." He smiles and pulls him in for a hug, which makes San's face heat up.

"It's no problem... it's what any friend would've done."

"But still, I wanted to thank you." Hongjoong pulls away from the hug.

"Excuse me, where's the ramen?" A customer asks.

"Over here, ma'am." Hongjoong quickly rushes over to show her.

San turns to look at him and smiles without realizing it.

-

"How was your day?" Hongjoong kisses Seonghwa's cheek as soon as he sees him.

"Good." Seonghwa forces a smile, which makes Hongjoong's smile fade.

"Is something wrong?"

"No, nothing." He shakes his head.

Ever since he and Yeosang talked last night, he doesn't know what to do. He really likes Hongjoong, but he doesn't want to put him in danger.

He knows that when his father finds out they're together, he wouldn't hesitate to hurt him and his family.

And what could Seonghwa do about it? What could he do to stop him?

Nothing.

Just like back then when he hurt Yeosang.

"Are you sure?" Hongjoong frowns. "You look sad."

"Do you... like me a lot?"

"Of course I do, why do you ask?" He asks, confused.

"No, never mind. Forget I asked. I was just curious." He gives him a small smile.

"You're acting weird... but if you don't want to tell me, it's okay."

"I'm just scared." Seonghwa rests his head on the steering wheel. "You know why I broke up with Yeosang, right?"

"Because of your father."

"Truth is... I've always known what a shitty person my dad is, but I didn't know he tried to hurt Yeosang too."

"What do you mean?" Hongjoong asks him and Seonghwa explains the accident Yeosang had and how he thinks his father planned it. "Wh-what? Seriously?"

"Hongjoong, I'm sorry. I'm just really scared. I wasn't able to protect Yeosang back then and now I don't know how to protect you-"

"Hwa... what has your father done in the past?" Hongjoong asks him and sees Seonghwa's watery eyes. "You were so scared of him even before you knew what he did to Yeosang... so what else has he done? Why do you always let him control the decisions you make?"