xxxi . back to normal

chapter thirty one
BACK TO NORMAL

chapter thirty oneBACK TO NORMAL

· · ─────── ·𖥸· ─────── · ·

  THE CHRISTMAS break had rushed by in massive speed, and Ruby had to find her way back to a normalty she was so desperately longing for. Unfortunately, it was harder than she even could imagine. With the Yule Ball laying behind them and, again, loads of homework straight ahead, Ruby should be preoccupied enough to have her mind distracted from a certain redhead, and also Cedric's second task was now slowly creeping closer, while still the Hufflepuff champion was trying to figure out what it was about this golden egg. Ruby decided to sacrificing her last bit of a spare time to help him, and so the library turned to be into her new home as it seems. But books about screaming eggs were rather rare.

   As it happened, even turning every single page in every single book in the whole library couldn't distract her from the ginger devil on her shoulder, and unfortunately in her heart as well. The only good thing was that Fred and George never seemed to find their way into the library; and even if they would, they wouldn't find her behind her high walls and piles of old leathery books.

   Suddenly Cedric's hand tucking on her shirt snapped her back to reality, realising that she'd blankly stared at the same sentence on the pages in front of her without even getting one single word. Ruby turned to him, finding her best friend looking at her expectantly.

   "Are you alright?", he asked, his marble eyes full of warmness. "You zone out every five seconds as if you're busy writing a novel in your mind."

   "I'm fine, just tired", she replied, slightly shaking her head. "And exhausted. How come you're not? This freaking egg is the living hell!"

   "Coffee", Cedric plainly replied, slamming the book in front of him shut, his eyes piercing mercyless into Ruby's. "Go and talk to him."

   "To who exactly should I talk?" Dazzled she blinked.

   "Fred, of course."

   Immediately Ruby's cheeks caught fire. "I — what — no! He —" She took a deep breath to stop the words from stumbling out of her mouth. "I don't have a reason to talk to him."

   Cedric gave a dry laughter. "Oh, you do."

   "No, I don't", Ruby hissed. "Terrence told me, Jasmine is perfectly happy with him, I won't be the one to disturb their bliss."

   "But is Fred perfectly happy with Jasmine?", Cedric asked with a crooked smile. "Because I don't think so. I think he's doing this to get you jealous. And I also think it pretty works. So if you would just get your ass up and finally tell him what you feel —"