(5)

Kendall's POV 

My phone slid out of my hand and I fell to the floor. My knees gave away, shaking madly, I collapsed to the couch with a loud clatter. There were hurried footsteps, but all I heard was an odd kind of ringing in my ears. All I saw, my baby, the last time I had seen her. I have to be there with her.

Someone grabbed my arms and pulled me up. It was Kevin.

"Kendall? What's wrong?" He asked. I looked down at him.

"K-Kira. W-we have to go. Accident." I said, distractedly, my voice was stuck in my throat.

"Kendall what's wrong?" Mom asked, the color drained from her face.

"Kira's had an accident." I managed to say. "I have to go." I said as tears began to fall. I tried to walk, but my legs were shaking too badly. Still holding my arm, Kevin led me outside, over to my car.

I got in the driver's seat and with trembling hands, inserted the key and ignited the engine. Beads of sweat began to form on my forehead. I wiped hem off, as well as my tears. Kira. She was hurt. It was my fault. That feeling. I knew something was wrong, but not once did the thought cross my mind that the victim was Kira. My Kira. I have to be with her.

I gained hold of myself and gripped the hard steering wheel tighter, my knuckles burned white as I stepped on the acceleration paddle, crossing the speed limit. I didn't care if I broke any traffic rules or if I ran over someone. Kira was hurt. Kira was in pain.

"KENDALL SLOW DOWN." Kevin shouted. I ignored him.

We reached the tall building of the hospital that held her. I ran inside, up the stone steps and across the slippery tiled floor, coming to a halt at the receptionists table. 

"How may I help you?" She asked, startled.

"Kira. Kira Jones. She's - she's had -" I panted.

"Are you family?" She asked. "I'm- I'm her husband." I told her.

"Sir she's still in surgery. You have to wait."

"I CAN'T WAIT!" I yelled. She looked fearfully up at me. Kevin grabbed my arm once again and pulled me away to the waiting room. 

"Kendall -"

"Shut up!" I shouted, completely losing it. I flopped down at one of the white plastic chair, taking my head in my hands and pulling my hair in frustration, breaking down. The world was spinning, and I wanted to puke. Kevin came and sat beside me, he patted my back. I wanted him to stop.

I wanted everything to stop. I wanted the world to stop spinning. I wanted to go back in time. I wanted to go back to this morning, when I woke up. When I was admiring her when she had told me not to leave her. I want to go back to that moment in the kitchen. I wouldn't leave, and I wouldn't let her leave. I would keep her safe.

Safe in my arms. Safe from the drunk drivers of the world. Safe from harm. Safe from everything that could hurt her. I would hold her tight, and never let her go. I would keep her safe.

Minutes changed into hours, and the people around us got up and left.

To go home, or to see their loved ones. But what about my loved one? My Kira? How was she? Will she be alright? One and a half hours passed. Kev and I sat in silence, staring at the floor, totally worn out from all the fidgeting, and walks down the hallway.

“Mister Schmidt?” A deep voice called. My head shot up. A man dressed in a white coat and grey pants with a stethoscope around his neck and a mask hanging off his ear was standing at the end of the corridor. I got up and quickly reached him, with Kevin following me at my heels.

“Who’s the husband?” He asked.

“I am.” I said.

“Mister Schmidt, you can see your wife now. She was very fortunate, you know. She almost lost a lung- “

“But she didn’t, did she?!” I panicked. He gave a small smile.

“No, she didn’t. Though, she might have breathing problems while she recovers. She broke two ribs as well as her right arm, and hit her head pretty hard. We’ve patched her up as best as we could, but –“

“But what?” I asked, my eyes popping out of their sockets. I’ve had enough bad news to last me a lifetime.

He sighed and looked down. “She’s still unconscious, from the anesthesia we gave her, and when she wakes up again, there’s very little chance that she’ll remember anything.”