Chapter Five

"Oh dear..." Filch trailed off menacingly. "We are in trouble." he said with a smile, before hurrying off to fetch Snape, who then took the three Gryffindors back to his office.

"You were seen by no less than seven Muggles!" Snape hissed at them in anger, slamming the newspaper, which contained the article explaining what had happened, onto his desk. "Do you have any idea how serious this is? You have risked the exposure of our world. Not to mention the damage you inflicted on a Whomping Willow that's been on these grounds since before you were born!"

Ron looked up at this, and ignored the glare (Y/N) had shot at him to shut him up. "Honestly, Professor Snape," said Ron, "I think it did more damage to us!" Snape trembled with fury, and (Y/N) mentally face-palmed at her brother's expense. "Silence!" said Snape. "I assure you, that were you in Slytherin, and your face rested with me... the three of you would be on the train home! Tonight!" Well, if I was sorted into Slytherin, I would've gotten back on the train the very night I was Sorted! Thought (Y/N). "As it is..." Snape continued, as (Y/N) drifted back into reality, "They are not," said a different voice. This voice was calmer, quieter, more dignified. Albus Dumbledore.

"Professor Dumbledore," said Harry, and Ron looked faint with relief. (Y/N) had missed seeing Dumbledore for her weekly training in her powers, along with Occlumency. She'd been practising on Ron during the holidays, but he was no use: he couldn't resist (Y/N)'s attempts in the slightest, and she had no idea whether she'd actually improved or not over the break. And then, as the redhead girl's eyes drifted from Dumbledore, she saw another figure. "Professor McGonagall." Harry greeted.

"Headmaster," said Snape, in a rather silky voice, and pointing one gnarled finger at them, in a rather childish manner. "These three students have flouted the Decree for the Restriction of Underage Wizardry. As such..." Dumbledore took a few steps forward, and Snape lowered his hand, falling silent. "I'm well aware of our bylaws, Severus," he said, "having written quite a few of them myself." McGonagall seemed to be wearing quite a triumphant look from behind Dumbledore, and (Y/N) struggled not to laugh at the sight.

"However," Dumbledore said, "As head of Gryffindor House, it is for Professor McGonagall to determine the appropriate action." Ron, Harry and (Y/N) all cast their glances down at the floor at this statement. "We'll go and get our stuff, then," Ron said in a small voice. "What are you talking about, Mr. Weasley?" Professors McGonagall and Dumbledore looked equally confused, while Snape looked rather thrilled. "You're going to expel us, aren't you?" (Y/N) muttered, looking back up at Professor McGonagall, who looked at the three in utter disbelief.

Luckily for them, she shook her head slightly, the smallest grin tugging at her lips. "Not today, Ms. Weasley." The statement had Harry and Ron glancing at each other in sheer excitement. "But I must impress upon all three of you the seriousness of what you have done." she added, and Harry noticed that her smile was now gone. "I will be writing to your families tonight, and you will all receive detentions."

Ron and (Y/N) exchanged frightened glances; their mother had already been furious with them over the summer thanks to their little flying car stunt in trying to save Harry, but this was far worse. The three had to stay in Snape's office for the remaining of the Feast, and had to rely on McGonagall's word that their little sister Ginny had been sorted into Gryffindor.

The next day, after the drama had settled a little bit, the second-year Gryffindors and Slytherins went down to the greenhouses for their first Herbology lesson of the year.

"Good morning everyone!" Professor Sprout called amiably, to which everyone replied with sleepy 'good morning's. This didn't deter the professor, and she hit a shovel on a pot loudly. (Y/N) snorted as her head snapped up, causing Shelena to laugh. Hermione shook her head in distaste. "Good morning everyone!" Professor Sprout said again. This time, everyone responded in alert tones.