Chapter 1

"Mm, I really don't get why Ursula is supposed to be the villain," Curt said as he and Owen watched the little mermaid, earning him a quizzical look.
     "Please explain."
     "It's obviously King Trident. He's trying to force a life on his daughter that she doesn't want. Ursula is enabling her to do what she likes. And it's not like she tricks Ariel, she signs the contract."
     "All right, fair enough. I actually-"
     Owen was cut off by the doorbell.
     "I'd better get that," he said, going to stand up.
     "No!" Curt protested, nestling into Owen's shoulder and clutching at his hand, "Stay. I need my pillow."
     Owen smiled, standing up and throwing a cushion at him. "I'll be back in a minute."
     Curt frowned, sitting up and looking over at the door and pausing the movie.
     Confused about who was at their door on a Saturday night, Owen unlocked and opened it. And his eyes immediately fell wide open and his lips parted.
     Then he felt himself being practically suffocated in a hug that he stayed in for about two minutes before he pulled away and stared at his sister.
     "Annabelle? What are you doing here?"
     "I missed you so much. I'm sorry it took me so long to get back here. Bloody flights-"
     "I can't believe you're really here."
     "You can't believe I'm here? I attended your funeral!"
     "I've not seen you since we were nineteen!"
     "I saw mum and dad fake-crying and pretending not to be the heartless bastards they are."
     "Okay, fine. You win. Uh, do you want to come in?"
     "Sure."
     Owen stepped aside, closing the door. And Annabelle stopped in her tracks when she saw Curt sitting and watching them.
     "Um, who-"
     "Annabelle," Owen guided her over to a seat before sitting back down next to Curt, "This is my boyfriend, Curt. Curt, this is my sister, Annabelle."
     "Oh. You... You have a boyfriend. And- Wait a minute. Are you watching The Little Mermaid?"
     "Problem?" Owen raised an eyebrow.
     "Why are you watching The Little Mermaid?"
     "Date night," Curt said simply.
     She shook her head, "All right, you're lucky I'm a little focused on other things otherwise you would be getting judged for that. Anyway, what the hell actually happened? One minute you've been dead four years, the next you're somehow alive?"
     "Long story short, I died, ended up in this place called the black and white. It's a place outside all dimensions. You know on Black Friday when those bloody dolls basically took over the world?"
     Annabelle nodded, perplexed.
     "Yeah. Wiggly wasn't just a doll. He was the ruler of the black and white and I worked for him for four years but then on Black Friday I came back here. I made a deal that basically meant mum and dad would forget me completely. That's why they think they only have one child."
     "Oh my god."
     "Yeah. Anyway, what have you been up to?"
     "Travelling. I've been staying in Italy for a couple of years now, though."
     "Where else have you been?" Curt asked.
     "London, Lisbon, Madeira, Madrid, few other places in Spain."
     "Wow."
     "Anyway, I started travelling originally to get away from mum and dad. They tried to track me down but were never able. I am slightly scared that they're gonna get me now, though."
"Doubt they'll recognise you. You look really different. Nearly didn't recognise you with the red hair."
"One can dream. But they'll track me down eventually. They really are relentless."
     "Glad I won't have to deal with that anymore," Owen said, laughing through the sadness that he thought he was disguising.
     But then he felt Curt's hand on his leg and saw sympathy in his eyes as he tilted his head slightly.
     Annabelle stood up, "It's late. I should probably get home and sleep. But can we catch up soon? Next Saturday, maybe?"
     "Saturday is good," Owen said.
     "Okay. Good."
     Owen stood up, hugged her before she left and then sat back down.
     "You okay?" Curt asked, putting his arm around Owen and interlacing their fingers.
     "I'll be fine, love. Could we just finish the movie?"
     "Sure."

After they finished the movie, they went through to bed. It felt a little early for a Saturday since it was only nine o'clock, but Owen was pretty exhausted.
     He hadn't seen his sister in seven years. He also hadn't had anyone in his life to connect him to his parents ever since he made the deal with Webby. Needless to say, he wasn't sleeping that night.
     So he just lay awake, his eyes tracing the patterns on the ceiling. And his hands relentlessly shaking.

~

(A/N: I missed writing about Curt and Owen so much. But I'm weirdly nervous for this story and I don't know why)