Chapter 10

"Jeez, how much did you buy?" Annabelle asked as they hauled their bags inside.
"I don't know if our bank accounts will be able to handle another shopping trip for a while," Owen said.
"Is that a Build-A-Bear box?" she asked incredulously.
"It's our third child, Cupcake," Owen answered.
"I'm sorry, what?"
Curt grinned at Owen before looking to Annabelle, "Yeah, we have three children, Cupcake, Rainbow and Sparkles."
"They're all teddies, right?" she asked, slightly terrified.
"Yes," Owen reassured her, "I don't think we're actually capable of having human children."
"That's just a bit too much work. This way is easier."
"Yeah, that's not what I meant, Curt."
Annabelle laughed, "I don't know whether to be disturbed or find this funny. But I'm going out with a few friends so I'll see you guys later." She grabbed her handbag and walked toward the door, her heels clicking against the floor.
"When'll you be back?"
"I'm an adult, Owen."
"I know, I just want to know when you'll be back."
"We're just going out for dinner. I'll be back about eleven."
"Okay."
Once Annabelle had left, Curt and Owen carried their bags to their room before flopping down next to one another on the couch.
"What movie do you want to watch tonight?" Curt asked.
"Moana?"
"Yes. We haven't watched it in ages."
"What are we having for dinner?"
"There's lasagne in the fridge."
"Ooh, okay, you put the movie on and I'll get the food."
"All right."

An hour and a half later when the movie was over, Curt looked down at Owen to find that he was asleep on his shoulder. Laughing softly, he slid his arm under Owen's legs, and lifted him up to carry him to bed.
Right at that moment, he heard the door click and looked round to see Annabelle stumbling inside and struggling to find the right key.
After a few seconds, she turned and looked Curt up and down before saying, "Should I ask?"
"He fell asleep. I was just carrying him to bed."
She nodded. "Ah."
"I'll be back in a minute."
"Okay."
After carrying Owen to bed, Curt came back through to see Annabelle struggling with the ice cube tray.
"You want some help there?"
"Bloody things won't come out."
Curt took the tray, pushing a few of them into a glass.
"Thanks," she said as she filled the glass with water.
"No problem. Are you- I mean- You seem a little- Uh-"
"I've had a few drinks."
Curt nodded.
"Please don't tell Owen. I know he can't deal with the idea of me being an adult. Even though I am literally older than him."
They both sat down on the couch and Annabelle kicked off her heels.
"I won't. What'd you get up to tonight?"
"Went for dinner with a friend. Had a few more glasses of wine than I intended to. What about you two?"
"Watched Moana and ate lasagne."
Annabelle suppressed a laugh.
"Is that because that sentence accidentally rhymed or because we were watching another Disney princess movie?"
"Both."
"Fair enough."
"Hey, can I ask you something?"
"Sure."
"How long were you with Owen before... You know..."
     "He died?"
     "Uh-huh."
"Two years."
"How did you manage to forgive him after he, like, basically spent four years trying to ruin your life?"
Curt thought for a second. "I love him. And, even though he did do some fucked up things, I care far more about having the man I loved back than being annoyed that he tried to help a weird evil god thing take over the world."
Annabelle stared at the table pensively as she nodded.
"Any specific reason you're asking?"
"Maybe. I'm not sure yet."
"Oh god."
"What?"
"You're doing that thing Owen always does. When he gets drunk the way he talks gets really cryptic and vague."
"Huh. Guess we might be more alike than I thought. Well, maybe not. He changed his mind on the whole relationship thing.
"What do you mean?"
"He always swore he was never gonna have a boyfriend. It's nice to see that changed since I left."
"I'm glad it did." Curt smiled before starting to stare off into space. "Anyway." He stood up. "I think I'm gonna go through to bed."
"Night."
"Night. And I hope the hangover isn't too bad tomorrow."
Annabelle laughed, "I worked in quite a few bars whilst I was travelling. I'm sort of hoping that desensitised me a bit."
"Well, we'll see tomorrow."
"I guess."

~

(A/N: May or may not have started planning another Curwen story when I'm not even half way through this...)