Chapter 18

'So, what did your sister want to talk to you about last night?' Curt asked as they walked along the river.
     'Well, basically, she's living with her partner, Abigail, and they are both aroace.'
     'Her partner?'
     'Yep. She met them in Italy.'
     'Wow. That's- Ah.' Curt winced.
     'You alright, love?'
     'It's just starting to hurt a bit.'
     'You want to turn back?'
     'Yeah. That's probably a good idea. Don't want to- Shit.' A few things fell out of Curt's pocket, so he went to lean over to get them.
     'I'll get it,' Owen said.
     'No, you-'
     'Darling, you were shot. Just let me pick the stuff up.'
     Curt stepped back, fear creeping onto his face.
     Then Owen crouched down and picked up Curt's phone, a balled up receipt and a small black box. He paused for a minute before saying, 'Curt?'
     'Uh-huh?'
     He looked up, holding the box out. 'What's this?' he asked calmly.
     'That is... I'll take that.' Curt tried to grab the box, but Owen jerked his hand away.
     'What is it?'
     'I got it years ago. The week before you-'
     'Hold on. You've just... had this?'
     'Yep.'
     'It is what I think it is, right?'
     'A ring.'
     'So it is a ring.'
     'Owen, please stand up. You're scaring me.'
     'Right.' He stood up, handing the phone and ring box to Curt. 'Here.'
     'Thanks. Um... I didn't exactly plan on doing this when I was physically incapable of getting down on one knee, but...'
     'Oh my god, Curt...'
     'We have not had it easy. Since the beginning, it's like something has always been in our way. Whether it was being closeted, other people, or literal death. But, somehow, we've always somehow made our way back to one another. It's almost like the universe is trying to tell us something. And I will be winging it from here on since I never finished planning.'
     Owen laughed, tears in his eyes.
     'We don't wanna disappoint the universe, right?'
     'We most certainly do not.'
     'So, since we don't want to disappoint the universe, will you marry me?'
     'Yes. For the universe.' Owen leant into closer to Curt and whispered in his ear, 'But mostly for you because I love you.'
     'I love you too. And the universe's opinion only matters because it agrees with me.'
     'Of course.'

     Three days later, Cynthia, Felicity, Tatiana and Barb were all sitting in the bar waiting for Curt and Owen to arrive since, for the first time ever, those two were late.
     'Hey, I'm sorry we're late,' Owen said, 'Somebody just had to spend forever on his hair.
     Curt playfully nudged him as they sat down.
     'I wonder who that might have been,' Tatiana said dryly.
     'My fiancé,' Owen said under his breath.
     'Your what?' Barb squeaked, making Curt and Owen start laughing hysterically.
     Then Owen held up the ring. 'We got engaged!'
     'Oh my god, congratulations!' Felicity said.
     'Yeah, congrats, guys,' Cynthia said.
     'So, you finally did it, then?'
     Curt smiled at Tatiana. 'I did.'
     'Come with me to get drinks?'
     'Sure.'
     Once they were waiting at the bar, she said, 'I'm really proud of you, Curt.'
     'Thank you.'
     'And I think I deserve to be maid of honour. You know, considering how instrumental I was in the proposal.'
     Curt laughed, 'We shall see.'
     'Yes, we shall see me in a bridesmaid's dress.'
     Curt sighed, 'Yes we shall.'

     'You know,' Owen said, closing the door when they got home, 'This just feels like a giant fuck you to Blinky.'
     'It does, doesn't it?'
     'It's like he tried to pry us apart but now we're even closer than ever.'
     'Yeah...' Curt leaned in and kissed Owen. 'And we're never gonna be pulled apart again.'

~

(A/N: I definitely write too many proposals. But they are so fun I do not care.)