Chapter 9

"How many band t-shirts do you need?" Curt asked, gesturing to the bag in Owen's hand.
"There's no limit, love. You should've learned that by now. Are we going to Build-A-Bear next?"
"Don't passives aggressively bring up Build-A-Bear try to imply that I own too many."
"Don't question my band t-shirt collection."
"Deal. And yes, we are going there next, to answer your question."
"You know I wasn't really asking-"
"Yeah, yeah."
Owen had to quicken his pace to keep up with Curt as soon as they saw the sign. He was very aware of the crowd of judgemental shoppers internally questioning the two men in their late twenties speed-walking into a shop intended for kids, but being with Curt for as long as he had had eventually taught Owen not to care. And his years serving Wiggly had taught him that he shouldn't let trivial things like strangers' opinions get to him. Yes, he had learned that as a way to deal with knowing people would find his "Uncle Wiley" character creepy and it was, therefore, maybe a bad message at the time. But he wasn't selling dolls in order to aid in the birth of a dangerous god anymore, so he figured it was okay.
By the time they got there, Curt was grinning like the children they were surrounded by. Owen was mildly uncomfortable with how busy it was, but it was worth it just to see that smile on Curt's face.
"Which one should I get? It's either that one," Curt pointed to a bear that was bright purple with black paws and feet and a pink heart nose, "or that one." He pointed at a white one with little green, purple and pink dots on it.
Owen feigned interest in the subject, "The first one looks pretty cool, but the second is really cute."
"She kind of looks like the icing of a cupcake with sprinkles on it."
"I think you just made your decision. Cupcake would be an adorable name."
     Owen was totally horrified when he heard the words coming out of his mouth. He couldn't believe he was actually starting to care about Curt's "stupid little teddy bear obsession" as he remembered putting it years before.
Curt eyed him suspiciously. "Are you just trying to buy yourself more guitar time?"
"Well, no, but if this gets me more then please ask me for my opinion more often."
"Would it be over the top if I got her that outfit?" He pointed to a tiny bear tuxedo.
Owen nearly gasped when he saw it. "Not at all. That would be so fu- so freaking cute."
"Upset that you can't swear in front of the children?"
"Don't want to corrupt the bears either."
Curt's eyes sparkled as the light hit them, "I don't know if I've ever loved you more."
"Not even when I cooked you dinner and got you that watch for our anniversary?"
"Okay, both are near the top of the list."
"Wow. That was easy."
"Okay, I think I am gonna get that one. You're right. Cupcake would be a cute name for her."
A while later, they walked out of the shop, Curt excitedly carrying a cardboard box containing the bear in the tuxedo with a pair of black shoes.
"That was actually kind of fun," Owen admitted.
"Time for the guitar shop now."
Owen's face lit up, "This is going to be even more fun."
Curt rolled his eyes. "For you, maybe."
"You can talk to Cupcake whilst I try guitars."
"Okay. Fine. Let's go."
Ten minutes later, Owen was marvelling at the guitars in the windows whilst Curt read the sign, sighing. He hadn't been here in a long time. He never thought he'd be back after losing Owen, but he'd come every weekend for a while after what happened. He had actually started trying to learn how to play as an excuse to come as a way to feel closer to Owen. Of course, that had only lasted a couple of months and he hadn't been back since then. He was a little nervous to go back inside since he had last been there when he was grieving the loss of his boyfriend, but it actually just filled him with a sense of relief. Almost like everything was back the way it should be.
He watched with adoration as Owen eyed the guitars on the wall and eventually one of the people working in the shop got one down for him to play. He took a pick out of his pocket that he carried around when going to the guitar shop and Curt was taken back to every time he had ever been in that shop with Owen before. He had always complained about how long they stayed rather than just enjoying the time with the man he loved.
He went and sat down next to Owen.
"Thought you'd be running by now."
"I forgot what this was like."
"What?"
"Being here with you."
"You've always hated it here."
"I hated it even more without you."
"What do you mean?"
"I used to come here. I guess because I wanted some way to pretend I was still with you."
"Oh, Curt..."
"I never thought I'd be saying this but it's actually really nice to be back here with you."
Owen smiled, "I hate to admit it but that's how I felt that first time we went to Build-A-Bear after I got back."
Curt chuckled, "I guess we've both lost our ways of torturing each other."
Owen grinned mischievously, "Oh, I haven't."
He started to play the intro to "American Idiot" by Green Day.
"No! You know I feel called out by the title of that song!"
Owen rested his face in his palm. "If you'd actually listen to the lyrics you wouldn't."
"I refuse."
"Stubborn as always."
"You know you love it."
"I love you, I tolerate that."
"Guess I can tolerate this, then," Curt said, rolling his eyes and thinking he was convincing Owen that he didn't want to be there.
"I'm just gonna start playing then." He smiled, knowing what Curt was doing.
He turned away to try to hide a smile. He couldn't admit how much he actually enjoyed hearing Owen play or they wouldn't be home in time for a movie. "Fine."
Owen started to play "Bang The Doldrums" by Fall Out Boy as Curt tried to suppress a grin and hide it by pretending to look at the guitars on the wall. But, after a few minutes, Owen was so focused that Curt could just sit and listen, looking over every few seconds and having to look away before the cartoon heart eyes came out.

A few hours later, Owen had three guitars in stands sitting in front of him. One was a purple and black Fender Stractocatster, one a Telecaster the same colour and one was a blue and yellow Strat.
"Which one do I get?" Owen asked, "I wish I could just get them all."
"Gotta leave something for next time."
"Worried you won't get to experience this again?"
Curt scoffed. "No. Not at all. This was hell."
"About as much as Build-A-Bear was hell for me," Owen mumbled.
'What was that?"
"I'm thinking one of the strats. I prefer the way they feel to play."
"Then I vote the purple and black one."
"Because you feel bad for leaving the purple and black bear?"
"Damn it. Why do you know me so well?"
"Living together and dating for years tends to do that to people."
Curt laughed. "Also that one just looks really cool."
"I agree. And you're right. I have to leave something for next time."
Curt gave a drawn-out dramatic sigh at the prospect of coming back, but was secretly happy.

~

(A/N: Sometimes I write things, look back and think "what the hell have I just written?" ...This is one of those times. But I enjoyed it so it's okay)