Chapter 7

"So, I guess I was wrong. This is connected to..."
     "Yeah..." Owen stopped walking when he and Curt turned the corner to get to their flat and he saw somebody pacing outside their front door.
     "Annabelle?"
     "Oh, Owen, thank god-"
     "Is everything okay? What are you doing here?"
     "Would it be okay if I stayed here tonight?"
     "Of course. But is everything all right?"
     Owen opened the door and the three of them sat down, Curt and Owen on one couch and Annabelle on the other.
     "It's just mum and dad again. They will not leave me alone. Dad was offering me a bribe. Like, money. I swear to god, they're ridiculous. I just want to be away from anywhere they can get to me."
     "Why are they so adamant? Especially after you told mum that lie about you having a girlfriend... You'd have thought that would stop them."
     "I- I don't know. You know what they're like, they like to get what they want."
     "Usually not at the cost of associating with-" he cleared his throat, raising the pitch of his voice and imitating his mother's accent which was even posher than his own, "'One of those... those homosex- Nope. Nope, I'm too straight to even say the w-'"
     "Okay, I don't think she ever quite put it like that, drama queen."
     Curt pressed his fist to his lips as he suppressed a snigger, meanwhile, Owen pointed a finger at his sister, trying not to laugh.
     "Don't you dare."
     "But you are a drama queen," Annabelle said simply.
     Curt wasn't able to suppress the snigger for long.
     "Like I don't get that from him constantly. I don't need it from you too." He pointed his thumb at Curt, smiling fondly as his eyes flitted over for a second.
     "Maybe you should just accept that it's true, then."
     "I am not that dramatic!"
     "Owen, sweetheart, I love you. And you know I'll pretty much always be on your side. But yes, you are," Curt said, laughing and touching Owen's arm.
     "Okay, I'm gonna go get pillows and a blanket before you two can say anything else."
     Annabelle leaned in closer to Curt as Owen walked away, "You know, once when we were little, a girl in his class made one snide comment about him. In retaliation-"
     "I can hear you!"
     "I don't care!" She lowered her voice, "In retaliation, he waited a year, so as not to be suspicious, and planned five things he was gonna do to, one for each day of the school week, to get back at her for one comment."
     "What did he do?" Curt asked.
     'I believe it included putting ink on her desk so she would get her hand covered in it and taking all the red pens one day because he knew that was the last colour she needed to finish something."
     "Oh my god. That's amazing. Also, just while he's not here, I know you were lying about not knowing why your parents were being so persistent."
     Annabelle sighed, "He freaked out the other night when my mum referred to me as her only child. I didn't want to tell him that they said they didn't want their 'only child' being a disappointment."
     "Oh," Curt said quietly, "So that's why he was being weird when he got home."
     "Yeah, mum came to my flat and he heard her say that. He didn't tell you?"
     "No, he's been kind of distant recently."
     "Okay," Owen walked over and put a blanket and a couple of pillows down next to Annabelle, "Do you want to order in for dinner?"
     Curt looked at him, trying not to seem concerned, "Yeah. Pizza?"
     They nodded and Owen went to the phone to order it.
     "Is there anything else going on?" Annabelle asked quietly.
     "Work's... Been stressful. Yeah."
     "Is he, like-"
     "Okay, pizza's ordered. Should be here in fifteen minutes." Owen sat next to Curt, putting an arm around him.
     "What should we watch?" Curt asked, resting his head on Owen's shoulder.
     "No bloody musicals or disney movies," Annabelle said, much to Curt and Owen's dismay.
     "Then what do you propose?" Owen asked.
     "Literally anything else."
     As they argued about movie choices, Curt looked at Owen. Why hadn't he told him about what happened on Saturday? Should he talk to him about it? Or should he keep his mouth shut and let Owen say something when he's ready?
     Or would that just lead to them both being silent?

~

(A/N: Heyyy, had to take a break from this for a few days because I was very burnt out. But, in that time, Mary Kate liked my art on instagram and I'm still not over it! Anyway, I may be back to posting regularly idk)