Chapter 12: Friendship Repairs

Sven POV
Sven sat down after a long morning of paperwork yet again. Earrings and Alyssa had locked the room and refused to give him the key unless he got some lunch and actually interacted with the clan. Sometimes those two were as annoying as hell but still, he knew deep down, they were doing it for his own good.

Lunch is boring when you don't have someone to talk to.

He thought of Burt but there was a one in ten million chance he'd ever want to talk to him again after that one time. The side of his face smarted at the thought of it.

Sven speared a baked potato absentmindedly with his fork, sighing.

'That potato hasn't really done anything to you, you know?'

That voice. No way in heck.

Burt slid to the right of him. He had on a poker face, which wasn't really surprising.

'Burt, what do you want?'

'Can't I sit with an old friend?'

Sven inwardly snorted in disbelief.

'Yeah, right. Friend. I'm surprised considering what you said to me that night. And what you did.'

'Speaking of that night, I want to say something related to that.'

Sven was in silence. What, more insults? More dissing? More slaps on the face? Cheers.

'I'm sorry..'

Sven spun his head so fast his top hat fell to the floor.

'You're what-'

'I'm sorry, okay? I'm sorry I said all those things to you. I should've heard you out.'

'To be honest, I don't blame you. Any rational person would've said those things. It's a miracle you kept quiet about it.'

'I'm not really someone to dirty a person's name. Even if they killed their unsuspecting girlfriend.'
'Ha ha, very funny.'

'Also what made you come out of your room?'

'Earrings and Alyssa banned me from doing paperwork unless I eat lunch and interact with someone, I guess you count. Also, I'm not sure my girlfriend is dead. I think she works for the government now..'

Burt shrugged and scooped some yogurt.
'Makes me have more reason to be friends with you again. Anyways, are we cool now?'

Sven blinked.

'Are we cool now?',Burt's voice trailed with uncertainty.

'Fine. We are. Don't slap me again. It really hurt...'

'How about this kind of slap?'

Burt slapped Sven's back hard.

'That's allowed but can I ask one question?'

Burt swallowed a mouthful of potato, 'Sure.'

'Who put you up to this?'

Burt looked at him, caught off guard. Sven's suspicions were confirmed.

'W-What?', he stuttered.

'Burt, you can't fool me. Everyone knows you're not a person to quickly ask forgiveness from someone. Someone must've influenced you, and I know exactly who.'

Burt was silent, probably from guilt. However he was an honest guy.
'You're right. But she never told me to go apologize, she just told me off. I decided the apology part entirely on my own.'

'Burt, I want to know what's going on between you and that young lady. Why do you like Alyssa so much? She's the same as any other girl in this place.'

'I don't know, okay? She's just..different. I just really liked her from the beginning.'

'Was that a love confession I just heard?'

'What-?'

'You have a crush on Alyssa...', Sven said quietly.

'I do not!'

'You just said so!'

'Shut up, Svensson!', Burt said, hands covering his blushing face.

Sven made kissy face sounds, spread his hands out and sang dramatically,
'Burt has a crush! The heavens light has been cast upon him!'

'Sven, you little-I do NOT have a crush on her. We're just good friends, that's all.', and he smacked the back of Sven's head.

'Owww...fine, if you're so stubborn about it..'

'Same old Svensson.'

'Same old Curtis.'

They ate in 15 minutes with silence. Burt broke the ice after that.

'Sven? Do you think...Alyssa has a relation in the government?'

'What makes you say that?'

'Her last name is Stickmin.'

'Her last name is what-?'

'What would you do if she had to change sides?'
Sven did not like the sound of that. She had brought so much change into his life that she was like a little sister to him. Of course he'd never say that directly to her face. He could tell Burt was feeling that same way.

'I don't know what I'd do. But all I know is, I'm going to protect her. She's been through so much, and I'm going to protect her from anyone who tries to hurt her.'
_______________________________

Man, Sven and Burt is really in for a big surprise.
Also what do you think? Votes and comments are welcome!