Chapter 8

"What the hell?" Dave comes running down the stairs with his shirt off and I want to vomit.

"Sorry. Didn't realize the alarm was on and I don't know the code."

"What the hell are you doing out so late?"

"It's nine."

"We were asleep!" he's starting to get angry and that's getting my anger stirred right back up.

"How would I know that? Why would you set the alarm when I'm not home?"

"Well, you should've been home earlier!"

"I was out to dinner with my dad! I told my mom that!" My mom comes out with a robe on.

"Can you just calm down right now? It's late." She looks to me like I'm crazy.

"Are you kidding me?" I shout at the top of my lungs just in spite.

"Hey! Do not talk to your mother that way!" Dave gets right into my face.

"I'm going to bed." I somehow keep myself from punching him. It's an actual miracle.

"You should go to bed." Dave has to chime in as I start going upstairs.

"That's what I'm doing. I just said that."

"Go to bed!" He shouts, following behind me.

"I am!" I get into my room and slam the door.

For a second I see Asher through the windows. But I'm quickly distracted by Dave bursting into my room.

"Leave! Now!" He basically charges at me.
"What the fuck is wrong with you?"

"I do not tolerate this sort of behavior in my house. You need to leave!"

"Fine! I will!" At this point, this is the best part of the night.

"Then go!"

"I am!" I grab my backpack and randomly shove random stuff into it.

Dave won't stop getting close to me and watching every single thing I put in my bag.

"Can you back the fuck up?"

"Leave. Now."

"Oh my god! You're fuckin' psychotic!" I push him back and he hits the wall pretty hard.

I grab my bag and start walking out. I pass by my mom, who's just standing there saying nothing.

"I hope you're happy with him. Alone."

"Hey! Get out of here now!" Dave comes charging from behind.

"I am! Don't you see the bag, you moron!"

"I'm going to hurt you if you don't start talking to me appropriately."

"Go ahead! Try!" Our faces are maybe half an inch from each other.

"Get out!" He shouts in my face and for a second I blackout.

Next I know, Dave is at the bottom of the stairs, my mom is down holding his head and checking on him. What the fuck did I just do? My heart is racing so fast that it actually hurts. My stomach is flipping in all directions. My head is pounding. My throat is chafed raw.

Then my instincts hit and I just run down the stairs, step over Dave, and run out the front door.

"Spencer! Are you okay?" Asher comes running out of his house.

"Get the fuck away from me! Right now!" I feel like I'm going to explode.

"Spencer. Come here. You can stay here tonight."
"Just stop! Just stop being so nice to me! I don't deserve it! Your life will be so much better without me in it!"

"That's not true." He starts following me.

"Stop it!" I turn to face him. "Just stop it!"

"No."

"Fuck you!" I shove him and he falls backward.

I immediately regret it and want to help him up. But instead, I turn back around and continue to walk off.

"Spencer!"