Chapter Three~ Anya

His skin against mine was causing so many emotions to rise up in my head and heart. Anxiety, dizziness, nausea, excitement... Nearly everything but fear. I didn't know this guy from Adam, but he felt like my security. And as we ran into the stone castle, his boyish smile was enough to send my pulse into overdrive.
Once inside, he pulled me into the first room and shut the door. "Legend has it," he said, his face gloomily lit by the dim lighting of candles, "that each of the Seven Castles owned by the same royal family had an ancient secret." Olivier paused to come closer, his face tilted down to add to the mystery. I noticed then that his accent had gone from French to Scottish.
"A haunting."
I smirked, staring into his shocking blue eyes as he retold the story of so many centuries ago.
"Queen Mary had a child in secret with one of the Knights in the castle. Her family told the king that she'd visited them at their home for the year, keeping her pregnancy and labor a secret to save her life.
"Eventually, the king found out, but the queen told him that it was due to the Knight's cruelty and sneakiness. Baffled and seething, the king had the knight beheaded that day, telling the court nothing of his crimes and treacherous ways."
Olivier stepped even closer, running a hand down my cheek, our skin just barely brushing together.
"It is said that the Knight haunts this very castle, hell-bent on finding his true love, Mary, and his daughter, Eliza. Anyone who flaunts their love before him or threatens to stand in his way is killed on the spot by the Knight himself."
I smirked and stepped closer, my chest pressed against his. "And what was the Knight's name?"
"What do I get if I tell you?" he teased in a breathy voice.
"What do you want?" I asked, my gaze traveling to his mouth. I could've sworn I saw his eyes flash red, but I blamed it on the lighting and let him lead me to the next room.
My mind spun and my thoughts raced, but I mostly focussed on the feel of his skin against mine...