Chapter 17 - Welcome Back to My Boring Job

"I have no idea what happened," explained Mr. Blazer, "and I was instructed not to question you about it. By the mayor, of all people. I don't know what you did, but something tells me you did something you weren't supposed to do. Because of this... situation, I was told to keep an extra eye on you. That means you are to remain in this area the entire time, even during breaks, until you leave. If you need a lunch, let me know and I'll have a guard assist you to the lobby downstairs. I'm not fond of these rules either, but I'm sure neither of us wants to be on the mayor's bad side. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes, sir," I said through gritted teeth. I made sure this was obvious.

"Good. You may return to your seat, Frost. Welcome back." He shuffled some papers on his desk, and stared at me to leave. I got up and left the room, feeling drained of all my energy. I just arrived, and right off the bat my boss lectured me. He was waiting near the elevator, as if he were going on a date. From the ride up to the time we were sitting in his office, it was all about what happened while I was gone. Nothing much happened that would dramatically affect the business, but my sudden leave caused a stir. Some people working overtime, others figuring out where I was at, stuff like that. Mr. Blazer threatened to fire me if it weren't for the mayor. I was used to his threats by now.

What pissed me off was how the mayor ordered my boss to treat me like a dangerous beast. Someone's eyes must be on me at all time, a stranger's at that. A stranger that wouldn't care if I had a good reason for the things I've done. As I walked back to my seat, I felt their gaze piercing through my body like dozens of needles.

Vix was the other pair of eyes always laid on me. Except his were dipped with concern and worry, for the last he heard from me was that odd phone call. When I first entered the floor, he gasped loud enough for everyone to hear him. Right away, I could tell he wanted to run to me and question everything, but common sense held him back. Instead, he kept watch on me, like a loyal dog waiting for it's master to return.

I sat down next to Vix, staring at my computer screen. I didn't attempt to type anything or start a conversation. I just sat there and stared at the same old background. Vix continued to stare at me as if he were seeing an alien.

Finally, I said, "Hey, it's been a while."

"Where were you," Vix scrambled, rushing the words as if he was waiting to say them for ages. He probably was. "I- I got so concerned, especially after that phone call you made. I called you dozens of times, but you never picked up. I was ready to call the police, but I didn't want that to be a false alarm, so I didn't. My lover had to calm me down several times, and-" He took a deep breath, staying silent for a few moments to calm down. "The point is, don't disappear like that again."

I gently smiled. "I won't. Promise."

"Somehow, I don't trust your words. But, I will accept them." He spun around in his chair, facing his computer. "I have a feeling you're lying, Frost."

"Oh?"

"I've been through many family incidents, none of them causing me to leave without a word and stay away for a few days. I've always told my boss and friends the news, and check up on everyone every other day. I had so many concerns for everyone. Frost, I know you're your own person, but... so am I. I can't help but get anxiety when someone I care about disappears."

My ears lowered to my head. Sympathy flowed through my veins as quickly as rushing rivers. I made Vix worry. Worry so badly he had anxiety. I started to regret calling him for a few minutes and giving him so little information. I should've talked to him for longer. I should've talked to him everyday, despite the risk. I'm a daredevil, yet I am afraid to take risks.