Chapter 3 - Welcome to My City

After a long and boring day at work, I took my usual path back to my trailer that I called my house. I don't call it home because home is a place you want to live; and I certainly don't want to live in a trashy, dirty trailer. I don't like the word trailer either, so I call it my house because I treat it like a house. That is, if I will ever live in a house.

Anyhow, the day was way more boring since I couldn't show off any more of my cool stunts to Vix on the rooftop. We spent our breaks in the workplace, pretending not to notice the evil stares of those jealous of us. Now I know why my father used to say school never abandons you. You still have your popular kids (me and Vix), the lazy kids (some spend their time gaming or on suspicious websites), the overachievers (some try to outwork us, but they screw up somewhere), and so forth. Honestly, how boring can the world be?

I crossed the street and stopped at the convenience store again. I entered, feeling a little empty when I seen a teenage lion instead of Jack. Still, I made my way around the store and bought spicy ramen noodles and a candy bar for dinner. It wasn't much, but the spiciness of the ramen noodles made me want to eat less and drink more water. The candy bar is a late night snack in case I get hungry.

"Welcome," said the teenage lion, grinning. "Find everything okay?" He took my food and scanned it, then told me the price.

"Yes, sir," I mumbled, handing him a few dollar bills. After buying, I left the store as the lion gave me a wholesome goodbye. Stuffing my ramen and candy bar into one of my jacket pockets made me realize I haven't eaten my chips I purchased earlier. 

Eh, the more the merrier.

I pulled out the bag of chips, opened them, and started eating them. This brand of chips was a little more on the expensive side, but they were damn good for their price. They also didn't stuff a lot of nitrogen into the bag, unlike many other chip companies. However, that meant you had to eat them right away since the chips won't stay fresh for long.

As I munched on my snack, I leisurely took a stroll around downtown. I was behind tall buildings, so the afternoon sun stayed out of my eyes. As usual, the city's sidewalks were bustling with afternoon shoppers and teenagers hanging out after school. A few joggers passed by me, more than likely them being a herd animal. Herd animals loved to run and get their exercise. Lazy cats like me, not so much. 

I sat on a bench that was directed in the middle of a small plaza. Across from me was a park and behind me were little corner stores. The stores were nothing interesting to look at - just an antique shop and small food businesses. In the park were families playing with their children or taking a walk in and around the trees and green grass. The park wasn't all that big, but yet it had a special meaning to everyone who lived here. No matter your age, you eventually would end up spending hours and hours in that simple little park without knowing it. As a kid, it was my way of escaping conflict. If I got into a fight at school or at home, I would run here and reset my emotions. Anyone would look at this park and call it boring since it's literally just trees, grass, and a few dirt paths. But for me, it was my home away from home. 

I finished eating my chips, and threw the empty bag into a trash can nearby. I was still hungry, but I've dealt with hunger all my life, so I was used to an angry stomach. Since the sun hasn't set yet, I decided to walk around a little more. Might as well because most afternoons after work I head straight home. 

First, I headed into the antique shop behind me. I know I said it was nothing interesting to look at, but I had no clues on where to start. When I walked in, an old grizzly bear with grey fur around his face greeted me. It was just like how I would imagine an antique store: old, smooth wood covering the floors and walls. Old books, toys and machines covered the store from wall to wall. Little room to move, and little air to breathe because of all the dust. Bunches of different chandeliers and lights hung from the ceiling, creating a unique shade of light together. It was like I walked into a fancy corner bookstore that used to be a cafe.