Chapter 19 - Welcome to Living in Regret

Shortly after Longhorn left, I was alone for a little bit before being let go. I was told not to return to work until the police were done investigating the scene, so for a few days. It didn't matter much to me anyway since I'll be thrown into prison in a few days.

Red came back in, sweat visible on his brow. It was clear on his face - he never expected to see Longhorn personally, and when he did, it was a thrilling moment for him. He confirmed my answers, then led me out of the building. The entire time, it felt as if everyone was staring at me. It was a very uncomfortable experience.

When I stepped outside, I wondered what I should do during my last days of freedom. The police station was located in the middle of the city, a few blocks down from my workplace. I had all of downtown available for my entertainment, but none of the places I thought about or seen appealed to me. Moreover, I was worried about Vix. I couldn't get him out of my mind. The only thing I can do is hope his wife is allowed to see him, and his sentence is a quick death.

Sighing, I sat down on a nearby bench. It faced a hedge, decorated with withering flowers. I stared at it, thinking to myself.

A few days. A few days, and I won't see my freedom in who knows how long. I could see it in Longhorn's eyes - he wanted me to suffer instead of giving me the release of death. I would rather leave this world than live under his rules. But... I can't bring myself to leave this world. Not yet anyway. There are a few things I have to do first. I just don't know if I have the strength to do them.

After sitting for a while, I stood up and walked into town. A few others were walking around, most of them teens likely skipping school or adults too careless to get a job. Most of them were herbivores. At least, most of the noticiable and healthy ones were herbivores.

I took care of my surroundings. In the corner of my eye, I seen a dirty lion in an alleyway, holding a torn "Our lives matter" sign. His eyes were empty, his body limp and appearing cold. Looking at him made me shudder and huddle in my jean jacket. I felt bad, for not being able to help him. For not being able to help my best friend.

Before I knew it, I was standing in front of the mart Jack worked at. Technically, the time right now was during my work hours, the same as Jack's. He was still working. I found my way inside and headed to the counter.

There Jack was, looking exhausted and drained. However, his ears and tail perked up when he noticed me.

"You're back," he said, as if he expected that I would never return.

I looked around. A majority of the shelves were empty, or stocked with food that clearly came right out of the box. Throughout the years I've been going here, I never seen this place this scavenged. It honestly frightened me.

"Have you been busy," I asked, glancing at everything.

"Very. So many people are coming in and buying every single thing they can get their hands on. Even our crappy medicine and chips. It's as if all the nearby grocery stores shut down. Maybe it's that animalistic instinct many of us get, like how some deer can predict the rain and stuff? I'm not sure, but I'm getting a bad feeling, too."

Hearing Jack mention deer instantly reminded me of Axel. I had already almost forgotten about him. I could only hope he was still human, surviving with the best of his ability. Feeling ashamed, my ears went limp.

"Hey, are you okay? You don't look so good, Frost." He touched my shoulder and shook me a little, to be sure I was still aware of his presence.

"No, I'm just... I'm just worried like you are. The town has been in a rush lately."

"Yeah... Hey, aren't you supposed to be at work? What happened?" I was silent as Jack waited for my answer. "I can tell something major happened to you, Frost. Please don't hide it from me."