Chapter 5 - Welcome to the Dangers of My Life

So, this does happen once in a while. An angry old person chasing after me, the thief. Most likely holding a deadly weapon in hand, not afraid to murder a living thing. Can't say I blame them. After all, breaking and entering, let alone stealing things, is very much illegal everywhere. So illegal no one would mind murder at that point. And since I was a carnivore, him a herbivore, the law would let him walk completely free if I were injured and caught.

To sum it up, life isn't fair for me.

"Get your ass back here, you damned carnivore," the father shouted at me, as I ran back the way me and Bobo came from. The heavy bag kept slamming into my tail and the back of my feet, dragging me down. I did my best to make sure the bag didn't slam into the ground.

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Bobo sulking behind a bush, unknowing of what to do. Since these times don't happen that often, we forget protocols easily. Usually we have a getaway driver and just run to them, but this time we didn't. And we don't carry any weapons to fight back, meaning that was out of the question. So, for the time being, I had to run around like a lunatic and try not to get my tail blasted off.

The neighbors across the street turned their porch light on. Shortly after, a light-skinned llama exited the house and asked what was going on. We immediately locked eyes - his full of shock, mine full of fear. I looked away and ran behind a nearby building, out of breath. My chest stung as I tried to breathe without feeling pain. I didn't keep up with my exercises. I haven't ran like that in at least a couple months. Plus, I was carrying a bag that felt like it weighed a ton. At this point, I wasn't sure if I could carry on.

"Hey, what's going on," an unfamiliar voice shouted. I assumed it was the llama I saw. 

"Some cat broke into my house and stole something," the father shouted back. He sounded close, but unsure of where he was.

"Are you sure," the llama replied after a short pause.

"Yes, I'm sure. I saw a cat run out of one of our closets, and she had a bag full of items. She had a lot because I saw her dragging the bag behind her. Now, shut up and leave me alone." Footsteps grew louder and louder.

As I turned to hide somewhere else, I swung the bag a little too quickly, and it crashed into my legs. Something stabbed into my left leg, making me fall to the ground. I looked and saw blood slowly seeping out of my knee. Dammit, something must've broke in the bag.

I tried to push myself up against the wall, but I fell right back down. By then, my body was beginning to realize how sore it was. My legs were so sore I couldn't feel my toes. Even my other knee started to sting, and both my legs started to feel like static as they fell asleep. 

"BB, I can't move," I groaned into the mic. "Can you distract him while I try to get up? Over."

"I'll try. Over."

Within a minute, I heard unholy screeches behind me. I also heard the father say "what the hell" as his footsteps slowly grew more distant.

"Some monkey is going insane," said the llama. 

"I see that," replied the father. "Long-necked bastard."

Taking a deep breath, I forced my body to stand. My knees crackled and pop, my arms were ready to fall off. My back wanted to give out - actually, my whole body wanted to give out. But, I kept pushing it despite the cries of the damned taking it out on my body. Ain't no way in this world am I going to die in the hands of the rich. 

After struggling, I found my body standing upright. More blood ran down my leg. My legs and arms shook, but I should be fine if I take my time. The boss's headquarters isn't too far from here, maybe a ten minute walk. Once we get that psycho off our backs, it'll be smooth sailing. And I don't care what Bobo says, he's carrying this bag.