20. Proper and Not

As we ascended the escalator to Winners, I pressed my hand on Duncan's suit front again, pleased to find it still responding. "Will you be able to keep your buddy up while we tend to business?"

"If I visualise you undressing in the fitting room."

I snickered. "You could accompany me to assist."

"Oh, fuck!"

"Yes, but not in there."

"God, I love your humour, Gianna. So fast and so clever."

When we reached the top, I pointed straight ahead. "The fancy stuff's at the back, past all the casual."

"Yes, one of the marketing strategies – the bestsellers first and most prominent."

"Likely why I have little idea of what's at the back. Been there only when I've gone too far. Might make more sense to lead people through a selection of the upscale to tempt."

After we had weaved our way past the many racks and display islands, Duncan led me to a smartly dressed woman, caught her attention and asked, "Could you assist us, please? We need to dress Gianna in business attire suitable for a high-end boardroom meeting. Something that will show both power and elegance."

"Certainly, sir. A skirt suit, then – more formal than a pantsuit or a dress. Have you a price in mind?"

He shook his head. "Quality and impact are the main criteria."

The woman turned to me and asked, "What size do you wear?"

"Hmmm! Depends on how I want it to fit." I pulled out the front of my hoodie and let it fall back into place. I do these from XS to XL."

She laughed. "We use different criteria for suits. What size are your jeans?"

"Twenty-four long, extra-long or tall, depending on the brand."

"And your bust?"

"Between C and D."

"Your bra size, then."

"The ones from New Balance are Small D, and the ones from Mountain Equipment Coop are Medium C."

"Those sound like sports bras. What about your regular ones?"

I shrugged. "I have none."

"We'll have to measure you for one, then."

"Why?"

"It's part of the formality of business dress."

I shook my shoulders. "These are perfectly formal and self-supporting, and they need none except when I'm out running – prevent chafing my nips." I watched Duncan's eyes widen as he stared at my front. That should keep him up while we deal with technicalities.

"Fine, then. Your choice." She placed a tape around my chest, having to fumble and feel through the baggy fleece to find where my boobs peaked. Then, she had me lift my hoodie hem, so she could measure my bare waist, and after taking other measurements, she said, "Depending on the cut, either size two or four, regular or long."

Then as she led us to the racks against the wall, she continued, "Not as much selection in the smaller sizes, but let's see what we have. The most formal are dark and neutral, so navy, charcoal, or black, and it should be made with fine wool – a hundred count or higher." She pointed to a section. "You'll find your fit among these. Avoid pinstripes or patterns; the most powerful are solid or with subtle flecking."

She nodded toward the shelves and racks further along. "The shirts and blouses are over there. You want a small or medium, the neckline as high as possible. And white, or barely off-white. The greater the contrast between the top and the suit, the more professional and formal the effect."