35. Addressing the Staff

A few minutes past eleven, when everyone was seated, Dunc stood at Hot Potato's reception podium and said, "From the buzz that's been circulating, many of you have already heard the news. To set the various versions straight and to inform those who've recently arrived, the holding company has accepted an offer to purchase the chain. Only the transfer of funds and titles remain, and those will be done by noon tomorrow."

"Who's the new owner?"

"The deal is still pending, so it's unwise to reveal any details. I can say this, though – the new owner brings the wisdom, the patience and the resources to properly prepare for reopening."

Hoots and cheers spread through the restaurant. "They've approved –" He paused, then spoke louder to be heard above the hubbub. "They've approved Executive Chef Gallini's recommendation that the restaurants remain closed for at least a week."

There was almost immediate silence, so he continued in a quieter voice, "Yesterday's reorganization needs to be reorganised. Some of it was misguided because I was unaware of the needs of a restaurant opening. I'm a business consultant, not a restaurant consultant. I know general business structure and accounting inside and out, but I don't know the complex requirements of the restaurant industry."

Oh, God! Tingling spread through my body. So open and honest. So self-effacing.

"But you're fortunate to have Executive Chef Gallini to lead you. Her strength and clarity during our meetings this morning – downtown and elsewhere – tipped the balance and enabled the acquisition. The new owner has given her free rein to do whatever is necessary to ensure the chain's success."

Cheers and hoots again filled the restaurant, accompanied by applause. As it quieted, Dunc asked me to stand and join him, then he said, "She will take it from here."

On my way to the podium, I smiled and nodded at the renewed applause. Oh, God! How do I begin?

I scanned the people at the tables, taking comfort in knowing so many faces, then sweeping a hand down past my suit, I said, "Please, pardon my attire. This was necessary for our meetings downtown, and I've not yet had the opportunity to change. Let's pretend I'm in my usual cazh – I'm still Gigi, still one of you."

After a pause to enjoy the reaction, I continued, "Those who had been part of Plimpton's culinary team will know that the kitchen in this branch had been designed to serve three functions. First, it's a prep kitchen for the whole chain, streamlining work and cutting costs. Second, it's the kitchen for this branch, and third, it's a test kitchen in which we'll design and perfect new menu items."

I watched the nods, then added, "But this morning, I thought of a fourth function. We'll also use it as a training kitchen to upgrade and polish our skills."

When the room had again quieted, I continued, "But that's for later – once we're reestablished and running smoothly. Our immediate concern is to let the world know who we are and what we offer, but most importantly, that we'll soon be back up and kicking ass in the dining scene. Who here had been involved in marketing Plimpton's? Who has experience or training in any other marketing?"

Several immediately raised their hands, and a few others followed. "Great. You're the beginning of our marketing team. What about helping Freddy with the food ordering or dealing with the suppliers?"

"That would be me."

Of course, Freddy's super-organised right-hand man. "Thank you, Melvin. Meet with me later, and we can begin reestablishing accounts."

I continued in this manner through other aspects of reorganising the kitchen and the bar, then I said, "This leaves the service team. There's a limit to the training we can do with no food and nonexistent patrons, so what I –"

"That means we'll get no more hours until the soft openings," Someone said.

"Only if you so choose. Those of you who wish more hours can turn to cleaning – at your regular pay rate. Get all six locations sanitised and glistening for the opening." I shrugged. "Otherwise, we'll have to bring in janitorial services to do it."

I watched the nodding spread among the group, so I continued, "This will also familiarise you with every nook and cranny and allow you to identify anything that might need repair or replacement. Things that would be missed by an outside service."

Then looking down at my suit, I chuckled. "Some of us are not appropriately dressed to tackle cleaning at the moment, so today, we'll do more training. Wine knowledge and service, practice on the POS terminals, a presentation on dealing with difficult customers, and so on. Tomorrow, those of you who wish to clean, will go to your own branch dressed in grubbies that you don't mind soiling."

I looked at Dunc's smiling face and then at those in the room. "Any questions?"

"Do we stay in our own branches after that?"

"No, come back here. By the end of tomorrow, we should have the framework of a menu, have food in the fridges and freezer and have started creating and practising."

"So, ready for the soft openings, then?"

"No, not quite. I'd like to experiment with you first. Get your feedback on the menu selections – what might be added or removed. Then on the quality and plating, so we can fine-tune before we do the first of the openings. What's today? I've lost track."

"Wednesday," several said.

"Thank you. We can work toward having the first ones here on Sunday evening and Monday noon. Then to test and tweak the central kitchen procedures, we'll do them Monday evening and Tuesday noon in all six branches."

"And then open to paying and tipping people?"

"You'll get tips from most of the guests at the soft openings. If everything goes smoothly, we can look at a quiet opening a week today and the media opening several days later, after we've everything polished and all the marketing is in place."

I waited for further questions, and receiving none, I said, "Good, let's get Hot Potato up and running."

"We still need a new name," someone said.

"The new owner likes Hot Potato, thinking it's both catchy and controversial with many meanings for the marketers to play with."

"But it doesn't sound serious."

"Indeed, but remember, even though we'll offer quality comparable to that of the top restaurants, dining with us should be casual and fun. Leave the stiff and serious to those places that overcharge for perceived exclusivity."

I waited for a rebuttal, and when none came, I said, "Everyone put on your thinking caps and see what better names you can come up with. Jot down your ideas. We'll get a suggestion box to keep in the staff lounge."

<><><>

Points to consider in this chapter:

Were you surprised to see ponytail had helped Freddy with food ordering?

In what ways does Gigi involve and inspire the staff?

If you enjoyed this chapter, please click the star to let me and Wattpad know.