49. Pieces Falling into Place

With the espresso machine switched on to heat, Dunc led Marcy and me out of the kitchen, across the patio and into the garden as he said, "Last night's rain will have brought an abundance of new mushrooms; let's see what Nature has given us."

The sun lit the treetops as we followed the winding path up the slope to a mini forest rimming the south and east sides of the gardens. Then working his way across the top and down the side, Dunc picked the larger matsutakes, shiitakes and chanterelles and laid them gently in a small basket. "Sometimes it's difficult to keep ahead of them, but with more mouths to feed, it'll be easier."

Back inside, after I had created a seven-egg mushroom, prawn and chèvre frittata, we sat at the table in the kitchen windows, enjoying our wedges with espressos. As we began discussing plans for the day, I chuckled. "They'll soon be mine, but I don't know where the branches are except by name – Broadway, Dunbar, Yaletown and such."

"When we've confirmed the title transfers at noon, and we've set up the new banking, I can drive you around to them all. Be a good time for that, too; the front staff will be at them and cleaning."

"Take me with you, Dunc." Marcy looked up from her espresso. "I know the Granville Island, Coal Harbour and Olympic Village ones, but not the others."

"A fine idea, but you'll be finished with us. Back downtown at ColeCorp."

He shook his head. "No, Gigi. No, I've grown tired of their aggressiveness. Gave them notice and claimed my vacation."

"What? When?"

"A few minutes ago – in my office, while you cooked."

"Oh, my! What a ballsy move. So, what'll you do, now? Back to law? To real estate?"

"No, neither." He grinned. "I've an in with a restaurateur, and she has an opening for a Financial Officer."

"Oh, God!" I trembled as I stood. "Hold me, Dunc."

While he stroked my back, I asked, "When did you decide all this?"

"In bed. I woke early and lay beside you, in awe of your beauty and peacefulness. Couldn't get back to sleep, so I ran the situation and possibilities through my mind. This seemed by far the most logical."

"Except for the big cut in pay."

"That'll help reduce my income tax."

I giggled. "Wish I had a problem like that."

"You will have, but we'll find ways to manage everything to your best advantage."

After we had finished breakfast, Dunc and I dropped Marcy off at her Fairview Slopes townhouse, and as we continued the six blocks to the restaurant, he said, "We'll park around back in the loading bay."

"Won't that block access? We've deliveries coming."

"Kevin told me there's a slot away from the dock where Arnie had parked his Ferrari."

"I still cringe when I think about that. The accident."

"Yeah, showed his nobility."

"What? How so?"

"The way it happened."

"I couldn't read onward. Never got to that."

"Two drunks staggered onto the roadway. Witnesses say he swerved to avoid them and couldn't recover. Smashed into the bridge abutment."

"Oh, God!" I winced. "No wonder the respect he's given."

"Yeah."

As Dunc pulled from the lane into the slot, I pointed. "The Plimpton's logos are still on the vans."