Chapter 34 - Plans

Serena had never been to Carlisle, but she didn't get much to see of the city. There they made their second rest in order to set off for Glasgow on the morning of the third day of travel. It was Serena's first time in Scotland. She had never been outside of England before and now they just passed the border without attaching much importance to it. Outside of Glasgow, Serena and Sebastian took a short break, but then traveled on as soon as possible.

Serena had heard a lot about the idiosyncratic beauty of the Scottish Highlands, but seeing this nature with her own eyes was something completely different. Only now did Serena understand that her favorite song not only captured a melancholy mood, but seemed to have captured the soul of the Highlands. The barren landscape exuded a certain calm and serenity, but also a peculiar attraction. It seemed as if the country wanted to show itself that it could defy all circumstances and stand the test of time.

"Have you ever been to Scotland, Sebastian?", Serena asked him on the way between Glasgow and Loch Lomond. His mischievous grin returned as he glanced down at her for a moment.

"Of course. Countless times, my lady.", he answered her and then directed his eyes back to his path. Serena nodded weakly and let her gaze slide over the landscape again as best she could at his speed. She would never have thought that the nature of a country alone could cast a spell over her so much. Serena hadn't been in Scotland long, but she felt herself feel more comfortable with each passing minute between the rugged hills and dense old trees of the Highlands.

In the late afternoon, when the sun was already nearing the horizon, they finally reached the southern beginning of Loch Lomond. Shortly below a hill, Sebastian slowed down his pace and finally came to a stop so that he could gently set his lady down. Then he offered her his elbow with a cheeky grin. Without a word, Serena hooked up to him and let him lead her up the grassy hill.

Serena would certainly never be able to forget the sight that met her up on the hill. The sun was already quite low on the horizon and began to bathe the landscape in an orange light. This orange was reflected a little on the billowing surface of the great lake. The trees around them swayed gently in the scottish wind and let their leaves rustle, almost as if in harmony with the rippling of the water. A comprehensive calm and serenity emanated from this place, so that Serena felt how her whole body immediately reacted relaxed to this whole scene. In the distance she could make out a great mountain that leaned over the lake like a silent watchman and seemed only to be waiting for her. Nowhere were people or buildings to be seen, only untouched, green nature and without really noticing it, a slight smile crept onto Serena's face.

"Like from another world ...", Serena mumbled ecstatically from the landscape and gently squeezed Sebastian's arm. The demon next to her looked down at her briefly and couldn't help smiling either.

"Did you know that the animal that is supposed to represent Scotland is a unicorn?", Sebastian said in a low voice as he looked back at the landscape. Serena let out a short laugh and gave him a quick look.

"Definitely understandable when looking at this landscape.", she replied, "I wouldn't be surprised if one of these animals suddenly came galloping out from between the trees.". Sebastian nodded weakly and then remained silent for a while before gently pulling his lady with him.

"Come on, Lady Serena.", he said, "After all, our destination is already in sight.". With that he nodded in the approximate direction of the imposing Ben Lomond mountain. A little disappointed, Serena let him drag her along for a moment, without taking her eyes off the lake, until she finally gave in. As much as she would have liked to just stand on this hill and admire the landscape, she finally knew that they had a completely different goal.

Sebastian carried them a little further, always towards the large and imposing mountain. After only a short time, however, Sebastian stopped again and carefully set her down on the floor. Without another word, he pulled her with him until Serena could finally make out a street and a few individual houses.