Chapter 5 - Closeness

Serena felt pretty uncomfortable. Too fast Sebastian had disappeared with the woman in the dark red dress through one of the numerous doors and tense Serena now chewed on her lower lip. She just could not get the tormented thoughts and questions out of her head. How far would Sebastian go or much more, how far would the woman let him go? What exactly were they doing behind the locked door? Although Serena was sure it was probably better if she did not know it.

And now she kept catching herself staring at just that door, desperately waiting for it to open and Sebastian to return to her.

In the meantime, she had occasionally been asked to dance and she had always agreed to change her mind. However, the gentlemen with whom she danced only chatted about boring and superficial things, so that Serena was very quickly spoiled by these men. But when she stood on the edge of the dance floor after the dances, a glass of wine in her hand, she heard the talk.

It came mainly from the ladies, who stood mostly in groups together near her and sometimes gave her meaningful glances. Serena had expected it, but when this case really happened, she felt even more unnecessary than before.

Single bits of words came from the gossiping ladies over to her and every now and then she heard snooty giggling. This posture reminded Serena again why she simply could not find such occasions pleasing.

"After all this time, she suddenly reappears.", a woman whispered, "What did she do all those years in which she was considered missing?".

"Impoverished nobility is unfortunately very tough and comes back like a disease again and again.", blasphemed another one and Serena's grip on her wine glass strengthened. These sneaky gossipmongers had no idea what exactly had happened to her and her family. They'd probably been sheltering and comfortable in their homes all these years, not going through hell like Serena.

"In her position, I would not have the courage to show up here alone.", a third woman babbled now, "And did you see how she is dressed? Too revealing.". Serena could almost feel the pungent glances on her body that were being thrown at her, but she forced herself to stay calm and pretend she did not hear it. She quickly took a large sip of wine, because she felt that she could not continue to survive this night in another way. And what did these chickens have against her dress? Precisely because of her contract symbol, Serena always made sure not to show too much skin, but it was probably still too indecent for the uptight chickens over there.

"But who is this guy she came with?", a woman continued to talk about her and Serena just stared stubbornly at the door through which Sebastian had disappeared.

"Oh, that's her butler.", one of the women laughed disparagingly, "She actually just shows up here with her butler.". For a short time, they all agreed to a high and wicked laugh.

"However, you have to admit that he is really a very handsome, young man.", said one woman and Serena could literally hear the envy out of her voice. A mischievous smile formed on her lips as it somehow made her feel good that these gawking chickens were at least jealous of her handsome butler.

"You're right, my dear.", another woman agreed, who spoke with an annoying high-pitched voice, "Really a splendid specimen of a man. But where is he at all?".

"He probably fled from her,", one of the chickens laughed spitefully, "The Sinister family has never had anything for a long time.".

Serena had to be careful not to crush the wine glass in her hand with rage. These conceited, stupid cows, she thought angrily. Neither of these women had the slightest idea of ​​what Serena had been through for the last four years, and none of them knew that Sebastian was the only one who could give her life a hold.