Chapter 21 - Concern

Serena didn't know if what she was doing was right or wrong. She only knew one thing: That she wanted it with all her heart. She had listened carefully to him when he poured his heart out to her and would never have thought it possible that he would actually say things like that to her, that he would open up to her so much. But even if she was mad at him for being so shabby towards her, she still felt a certain relief and joy. Because now she finally had certainty about what had really gone on inside him.

His lips felt just as soft as they had when they first kissed, and again she felt the confusion and surprise permeating her butler's body. While Serena pressed her lips to his, she met his eyes for a moment. At first his eyes were torn with amazement, but shortly afterwards his features relaxed again. He leaned gently towards her and carefully put his hands around her hips.

When his hands touched her body, Serena closed her eyes with relish and surrendered completely to the kiss. This kiss was nothing like the first. Back then, the main motivation was not to attract attention. Now it was an affair of the heart. She had longed for it so much, even if she had never really realized it.

A little more roughly than intended, she pulled on Sebastian's shirt collar even more to press him even closer to her. Surprised by this gesture, he gasped for air, but immediately recovered and tightened his grip on her waist even more. Gently, with a very faint sigh, Serena opened her lips, to feel and enjoy the kiss even more intensely.

Everything was going crazy inside her. She could hardly take a clear thought and her heart was pounding wildly in her chest, as if she were on the run from something. Just his touch gave her goose bumps on her arms and made her feel a strange but beautiful tingling all over her body.

Sebastian finally pulled away from her very carefully and looked at her, but he kept his arm wrapped around her waist. It felt like an eternity for Serena where they just looked at each other in silence and neither of them really knew how to act.

Finally Sebastian gave a tight clearing of his throat and very carefully and gently let go of Serena. She immediately felt a small sting in her heart when his hand left her hip, but she too loosened her grip on Sebastian's shirt collar and a little guiltily her gaze fell on the crumpled fabric around his neck.

"Um ... I'm sorry.", she said, and tried makeshiftly with her fingers to straighten his shirt collar again. A short but amused sound was heard from her butler.

"What exactly do you mean, Lady Serena?", he asked in a soft voice, "The slap, the kiss or the crumpling of my clothes?".

A little embarrassed by her own behavior, Serena looked up and met Sebastian's eyes. It was good to be able to see the mocking twinkle in it again. The sparkle he always had when he teased her and that she had missed far too much. A hoarse laugh sprang from her mouth.

"Actually about your clothes.", she admitted. He deserved the two slaps in the face, she was sure of that and she wouldn't regret the kiss either. While this might not be acceptable behavior for a woman of her age and position, Serena felt that she had done the right thing.

"I almost thought so.", Sebastian mumbled to himself, causing Serena to giggle again. It was as if her heart to be refilled with confidence and happiness, just by Sebastian, who looked at her smiling. A huge burden seemed to fall from her head, because this agonizing and oppressive feeling of loneliness that she had felt in the past few weeks now seemed to dissolve more and more by itself.

"Was it ... bad for you?", Serena asked tentatively and looked carefully at her butler. He raised a narrow eyebrow and gave her a serious look.

"A little bit. You know, I don't like it when my clothes get messy.", he replied, but Serena could see the corners of his mouth start to twitch. Her smile returned immediately and a little guiltily she clasped her hands behind her back.