Chapter Ten

10

-

The kitchen door squeaked open and Dan and I held our breathes. Even Savannah seemed completely still. I wanted to panic and run but I knew I couldn't. If I were to even move in this situation I would be shot. If Dan was going to die, it was going to be by my own gun.

Footsteps started inching closer into the kichen. Dan looked over at me and I pressed my finger to my lip, singling for him to be quiet. His eyes were filled with fear but we both kept calm.

"Find Ashley now." One male voice ordered. "She isn't one of the bodies out there so she has to be around the area."

The silence after the voice spoke seemed deadly. As if one noise could kill us all. "3..." Savannah started counting down. I became confused but didn't let it show. "2..." What was she counting down to? I started to fear that it was how much time we had left to live...

"1." She finished. I closed my eyes and waited for more gunshots but instead, there was one huge explosion outside. All the agents stopped for a moment and then ran out and to the outside. They were yelling at each other as the sounds of fire flickered in the background. I let out my breath and pulled Dan out from under the table. I dropped the knife and ran with him. I made sure to hold on tight to his hand as we dashed out of the kitchen.

We had gone out a back door into the parking lot. We made sure to get far, far away from the cafe. Then we stopped. Dan took deep breathes trying to get his breathing back. I leaned up against the wall and slid down. I looked up at the clouds. The sky can always be so peaceful, even in times like this.

"Why... Why two days in a row? How do we get shot at two days in a row?" Dan heaved out. I shrugged. I knew he wasn't very athletic or fit so if I was out of breath, he must have been dying. "No Jaden... I think you do know." He said with a tiny bit of suspicion. I looked over at him confused. He was sat on the ground breathing out tired breaths. "Please tell me what's going on Jaden... you must know something?" Dan looked over at me hopefully. I shook my head. "Sorry Dan. I really don't." I lied. I knew what the agents were trying to accomplish. They were trying to kill us both because I've made more progress then any other agent had at this point.

Dan shook his head. "Okay then. At least tell me who Ashley is?"

I felt my breathing hitch in my throat. How did he know my name...?

"While we were under the table, they said something about finding Ashley and how she wasn't one of the b-bodies..." his voice cracked. They killed innocent people just like they said they would. Money could make people do horrible things.

"Listen Dan-" I started.
"Don't you dare." Savannah hissed in my ear.
"-I know you're confused and you've always been. But there's a reason all this is happening. And-"
"Agent Silent! No! Don't you dare!"
"I'm so sorry for not telling you sooner. I've just not been allowed to."
"What do you mean?" Dan questioned.
"'I don't know'... say 'I don't know'! Silent, I swear if you-" Savannah sounded furious.
"What I mean is... Daniel James Howell,-"
"No!" Savannah yelled into my ear piece.
"I'm Ashley Silent, an agent that's been sent to kill you. And I have been from the start but I just couldn't. I was asked to get you to trust me before I kill you but I ended up trusting you myself..." I paused to see if Savannah would interrupt me but she stayed quiet. After all, this was all news to her as well. "Dan... I fell in love with you and I've never been in love before. In fact, I've never even had a social life! I've been killing people for money my entire life. So there was no time for a social life that'll just eventually just blow my cover anyway. It upsets me knowing that I've taken so many innocent lives just for money. But I can't take yours, Dan. I won't take another. I really have fallen hard for you. Now a whole group of people are after the 5 million that's been placed on your head and if anyone kills you, it's going to be me, not anyone else."

The whole world seemed to stop as he stared at me. Savannah stayed silent. The birds stayed silent. No cars passed. And Dan quietly went over my words. The pain in my arm came back and I grabbed it and made sure it didn't bleed through. This silence was almost as deadly as the one in the kitchen.

"So you're an agent sent to kill me but you can't because you've fallen in love with me...?" He summarized. "Yes Dan." I confirmed with a sigh. He looked away. "And I'm sorry. Now that I've told you this, we're both going to be killed." I stared at him. We both had our breaths back from running but we just continued to sit. "I was just going to die anyway." Dan said blankly, still blankly staring anywhere but at me.

"Death is inevitable." I said with a small smile. He breathed out his nose like a laugh and smiled. He looked back at me with his chocolate brown eyes and stared deep into mine. I stared back. After a few seconds, he spoke. "Now what?" He asked quietly.

"I don't know." I breathed out. "We die together?"

He nodded. "That will be inevitable." Dan replied with a smile.

"Inevitable..." I whispered to my self. The definition popped into my mind. "Certain to happen; unavoidable..."

But was our execution really unavoidable...?

-

I have the rest of the book planned out and I can't wait to write it! So that means that this book might be coming to an end soon ;-;

(And if you're reading from the future, how many more chapters are there left?)

This chapter was one of my personal favorites to write btw I hoped you guys liked it <3

AND WHY ARE THERE 322 READS ON THIS BOOK?!? I don't think you guys realize how much I love each and everyone of you

-Alex