Chapter 15

Author's note
Hi guys! I know it's been an awfully long while and no matter how much I apologize for it, it's not enough but I'm sorry! I'm sorry for making talk wait for such a long while and I'm eternally grateful to all your incessant requests for me to update the chapter. Thank you for checking up on me and not giving up on me. And most of all thank you for believing in me and waiting for me🥺 I don't think I would have been able to write if it wasn't for you guys🌼 So thank you, from the bottom of my heart🌈 I will never forget what y'all have done for me and how y'all stuck by✨ Also, I know I'm in no position to ask for anything, but I would love to know your thoughts about this chapter, specially if y'all could express them as inline comments! This chapter has taken me the longest time but it's also really close to my heart💛 So please, lemme know what y'all think about it🥰

Month 8

It was a bright summer evening. The sun was sinking lower by the second, draining the light of the day away. Abir and Mishti were leisurely taking a walk in the nearby garden with their hands entwined. It had become their routine since the time Mishti's gynaecologist had suggested that an evening walk would be healthy for the mother and child. They strolled around the park roughly at this time because both of them were obsessed with the hues that the sky was painted in while the sun set behind the horizon and the moon and stars replaced the dim evening light. Just like everyday, they both settled themselves down on the bench opposite the small pond in the garden. It was the best place to witness the fading brightness of the day give way to the darkening sky. Mishti's head lay on Abir's chest while his hand was wrapped around her shoulder as they both watched rich hues of red, orange and crimson blend with each other in front of their eyes. The yellow ball of fire merged with the sky as their faces glowed with the last orange rays. Their lips exhibited the semblance of a smile, just enough to show that they were enjoying their view as the sun dipped half into the water, but its reflection in the pond made it look complete. The lamp posts turned on as the mauve of the dusky sky intensified. And in just a while, the biggest star had set, giving way to a thousand others.

"No matter how many times I watch the same process, I can never get tired of it," Mishti whispered dreamily as she shifted her gaze towards Abir and found him staring back at her.

"Then this is going to be our routine even after our baby is born. Deal?" He asked expectantly as he forwarded his free hand for Mishti to keep hers on. Mishti's face broke out into a humongous smile as she excitedly clapped her palm over Abir's waiting one.

"Deal!" she exclaimed enthusiastically and Abir's face glimmered with elation. "A ritual where we spend time with each other that we otherwise may not be able to," she added and Abir placed a quick kiss on her temple, his heart filled with delight and endearment for Mishti. His Angry Chorni knew him too well to intuit his wish even without him having to voice it out. Just then, Mishti saw a kid having ice-cream and her mouth watered at its sight. Abir followed her line of sight and knew exactly what Mishti's hormones must be craving for.

"Tum yahi baitho, mei ice-cream lekar aata hu," he apprised warmly even before Mishti had the words out of her mouth. Mishti stared at Abir as her heart stopped for the longest second until it started pounding hard against her chest and a beam adorned her glowing features. Abir patted her cheek lightly and passed her a soft smile before he stood up to go and buy her an ice-cream. Mishti kept on glancing at his retreating form with a ridiculous grin on her face, overwhelmed at the way Abir loved her and cared for her. Although Abir being aware of her whims even without her having to say them was something that happened every other day, it still took Mishti by surprise and every single time, she was left blushing like a 16-year old who had just fallen in love. Mishti's trance was broken when a man, approximately in his mid 30s, sat beside her and tapped her shoulder. Her neck swivelled in his direction and she saw him eyeing her belly. Mishti's motherly instincts kicked in and she unconsciously cradled her baby bump in a soft yet secure grip.