Chapter 6

*2 months later*

Since the time Abir and Mishti had returned home and Mishti had revealed that they were planning a baby, both the families had been extremely ecstatic. Not even for a second was Mishti left alone in the house. Someone would always be around her, pampering her and talking to her about the changes in life after a baby's birth. Kuhu had been burning in jealousy but all.she could do was stay back and stare. Abir had been behaving oddly since the time they had come back from their mini vacation. He left the house before Mishti woke up, came back home late at night and spent his entire day at the NGO. Mishti had noticed the changes in his behavior. Every time she would try to ask him about it, he would shove it under the carpet by saying, "Naye project ki wajah se NGO mei bahut kaam hota hai Mishti." Or "Kal baat karte hai Mishti. Mei bahut thak gaya hu." But tomorrow never came. And if she told him that she could come by and help, his reply would be, "Uski koi zarurat nahi hai Mishti, I'll manage." 

Mishti came out of the bathroom only to find an empty room, just the way she has been since 8 weeks now. Abir's distant behavior hurt Mishti. It had been killing her a little bit everyday but she didn't say a word because she didn't want to add on to Abir's stress. And she hated how she couldn't do anything about it. Tears welled up in her eyes as she remembered the time they had spent at their 2-day getaway. Abir hadn't left her side even for a second. He showered her with so much love and then all of a sudden, he started to stay away from her as if she was plague. Mishti knew that he had been busy but a little part of her husband's day was all she craved. Mishti's eyes fell on Abir and her photo frame at the bedside table. She walked towards it and picked it up. She sat down on the bed and caressed Abir's face with her fingers. 

"Kya hogaya hai tumhe Abir? Mujhe aisa kyu lag raha hai ki tum mujhse dur bhaag rahe ho? Aisa bhi kya hogaya hai ki itne hafto se ek baar bhi tumne baithkar mujhse baat nahi ki hai? Ab mei thak chuki hu Abir. Tumse aur doori nahi bardaasht kar sakti hu. Mujhe apna Ajeeb Rajvansh waapis chahiye Abir. Waapis chahiye," she whispered as a lone tear rolled down her eye and fell on the frame in her hand. She wiped it off and kept the frame back in its place. While doing so, she noticed the date on the calendar and her eyes lit up with new found joy. She quickly picked her bag and phone up and left the room. With a huge smile on her face she hopped down the stairs and out of the house. Kunal had just disconnected a business call when he noticed a jubilant Mishti walk by him.

"Mishti!" Kunal called out. Mishti halted and turned around as Kunal walked towards her. 

"Aaj toh tum kuch jyada hi khush lag rahi ho," he smiled at her. "Kaha jaa rahi ho?" He asked. 

"Hospital." Came Mishti's pat reply. Kunal's smile vanished as shock clouded his features at her answer. 

"What?!" Kunal screamed. "Tum thik toh ho na? Kya hua Mishti? Kahi dard ho raha hai? Kahi chot lagi hai? Kuch bolo Mishti!" Kunal went on in a worried tone. 

"Arey baba shaant ho jaao. Apne Bhai ki tarah itna panic mat karo Kunal. Mei thik hu. Kahi dard nahi ho raha hai aur kahi chot nahi lagi hai," she confirmed. "Bas ek test karvana tha isliye hospital jaana padega," she said and blushed a little. But Kunal had been too worried to notice. 2 months ago, Abir had entreated Kunal to be around Mishti at all times. Abir didn't tell Kunal the reason behind his plea but the desperation in Abir's voice had alerted Kunal about the gravity of the matter. Abir had never asked Kunal for anything and had always been there for him. So when Abir made a request, how could Kunal deny it? Kunal was anxious to know but he hadn't proded Abir further and agreed to comply. 

"Mei bhi tumhare saath chal raha hu," Kunal declared, very sure of not leaving Mishti alone, even for a second. Mishti looked at him, surprised.

"Nahi Kunal. Mei chali jaaungi. Tum kyu takleef kar rahe ho? I'll manage," Mishti reasoned.