Chapter 12

Month 5

The pregnancy phase had been a complete bliss for Mishti. With the outset of the 5th month, her protuberant belly was unmistakably discernible. And Mishti had been loving every ounce of the weight she gained. It was a chilly January morning with mild winds, nothing that would make your teeth chatter but the perfect blend that would enwrap you in a feeling of home. Mishti had just stepped out of the bathroom after a deeply relaxing, hot shower and was drying her hair with a towel in front of the mirror. The bright smile wasn't wiped off her lips since the time they had entered the MishBir house and she knew that it wouldn't be leaving anytime soon. The pregnancy glow that people talked about was clearly visible on her face and anyone who would look at the sheer happiness that radiated off her face, would know how coddled of a to-be mom she was. Abir, who was just about to call Mishti while setting foot inside the room, stopped dead in his tracks at the sight that awaited him. With a brilliant smile on her face, Mishti was caressing her belly while staring at it through the mirror. One look at her and Abir felt a surge of similar emotions shoot up through his veins, the ones he knew were flooding her heart too. He quietly walked towards her and kept his hand atop of hers on her tummy. Mishti turned towards him at the contact and Abir noticed the happy tears glistening the corners of her eyes. He slightly shook his head sideways, indicating her to not let her tears flow and a chuckle left Mishti's lips at his adorable non-verbal gesture. He passed her an ear-splitting grin and knelt down in front of her. Slowly, he removed her hand that rested on her belly and gently planted a kiss against the fabric of her dress. Mishti lightly caressed his hair while her smile widened.

"Papa loves you baby," Abir whispered adoringly, just the way he did everyday since Mishti's first sonography and brushed his nose against her stomach. Mishti's heart fluttered in her chest, the same way it did the very first time Abir had said those words. Abir's love for the baby was unparalleled and it made Mishti's heart go to mush every time he showcased that love openly. She couldn't help but let the lone tear roll out of her eye at the sight in front of her. Their little moment was disturbed when Abir's phone went off. He got up to his feet and scrunched up his nose at the sight of the teardrop on Mishti's face. He wiped it off with his thumb and pressed a light peck on her forehead before moving away to a corner to attend the call. Mishti kept staring at her bewitching husband who looked every bit cute even while his expressions changed from a smile to a frown in mere seconds. He was exasperatedly trying to explain something to the party on the other side of the call but all his attempts were turning futile. He kneaded his forehead in frustration when he realized that there was no way he could get out of it and half-heartedly agreed to whatever was being said by the opposite person before disconnecting the call. He let out a loud groan before throwing his cell phone on the bed while Mishti made her way towards him.

She touched the side of his face and asked gently, "Kya hua Abir?" Abir closed his eyes and leaned into her palm while interlacing their free hands on the side.

"Mujhe NGO jaana padega. Waha kuch kaam hai jo ghar se nahi ho sakta hai," he replied as he bore his hazel eyes into her soft ones. "Mera jaane ka bilkul mann nahi hai Mishti," he mumbled morosely. "Masi bhi Rajvansh Sadan gayi hai aur kal hi waapis aayengi. Isliye mei tumhe ek minute ke liye bhi akele nahi rehne de sakta hu. Lekin.." he trailed off.

"Lekin NGO ka kaam bhi zaruri hai," she completed for him and he imperceptibly nodded his head in affirmation. She brought her other hand in contact with his cheek and explained, "Toh tumhe NGO jaana chahiye Abir. Kaam bhi equally important hai. Aur tum thodi na pure din ke liye chale jaaoge. Jaldi se kaam khatam karke waapis aa jaana."

"Par Mishti.."

"Koi par nahi Abir. Tum NGO jaao. Mei aur baby manage kar lenge. Ek-do ghanto ki toh baat hai," she reasoned but Abir was not at all convinced.