AU Species

3rd pov

The entire planet is aware of the existence of other species. Demons, angels, kitsune, tanuki, bakeneko ( shape shifting cat), jibakurei( spirit that protects specific place), mizuchi ( dangerous water dragon), mujina( shape shifting badger), and many more. It is not something the humans fear - yes, they know the creatures exist and are well aware of what to do in order to not piss off certain species. All of the creatures live in as close to harmony as they can, since sometimes it's hard to have harmony when some of these creatures want to cause mischief or pranks and jokes or whatever they so wish to call it. 

It is not a requirement for a person to tell anyone if they are a different species ( not all species have a give away and most can pass as human ) the only exception being if they are a kid and are being put into a school, the hospital or going to trial/jail. The Digidestined are not spared from the fate of being a different species just because they were chosen to protect another world from evil beings that wish to rule over innocent creatures and they match a certain trait. 

For Tai, it's hard to hide his tail that signifies him as a demon so he never bothers, while Mimi and Joe have a hard time hiding their wings under clothes and gave up pretty quickly. Matt does not bother trying to hide his tail or the ears on his head - never has - giving him away as a bakeneko, while Izzy finds himself rather glad that he only has to struggle with having to find a way to trim his claws in order to not hurt any of the others - they grow fast, unfortunately - so he does not hide that he is a mujina. Sora is a rather unique one, for while she is a species, she is not one of the more well known ones, more of a dragon of some sorts, though none of them know exactly what, her wings are not much, though they are more reptilian that Joe and Mimi's. 

T.K is 8 when they first go into the digital world and has a far too easy time hiding what he is. While there are certain species that are known for shapeshifting into one creature, he is just a plain old shapeshifter, though he sticks to animals only and has three he prefers.  The Digidestined do not realize the youngest is a different species - they had thought he was either human or one of the species that did not differ much - until years later, when he's turning 15 ( A/N Again, fucking with the timeline, cause screw the ages they are. Like, what the literal hell?) and three new Digidestined are chosen to go into the digital world with them. The new kids are interesting in there own way.

Cody, the young one, has a bond with all water and the wings on his back - from the glimpses they get - are rather reptilian, leaning them to believe he's a water dragon. Davis does not really try to hide his features, but it's still rather hard to spot the scales that line his face and upper arms, signaling the likes of a naga or something similar. Yolei has lovely wings, but she hides them since they are more colored like a fallen angel than an actual angel. Kari has never hidden her features and sees no reason to start now. Her fangs are not hard to miss and the tails like to appear whenever, proof she is a kitsune. None of them have bothered to ask T.K what he is, assuming like the older group that he is a humanlike species or human. Ken, when he joins, can not help the kinship he immediately feels with T.K, and while he loves Davis as his best friend, something about T.K calls his attention just as much as Davis does. Ken is a Tanuki, his tail and the little lines across his face evidence to that.

It is a rather normal event that has them finding out what he is and - on top of that shocking reveal - that he can actually hurt digimon. ( They later find out that if they are using the power that naturally comes to them or their other form that they too can harm digimon without any issue, though it takes a few tries to figure out what works best against certain types.) Well, as normal as normal gets for the Digidestined, which means not really that normal. They're in the digital world, the older group having decided to tag along just to see their partners - none of the new group blame them, they can't imagine going years without seeing their partners - while the new generation work on taking out spires and helping digimon that require it. They had split up for this, though they are all in eye sight and can get to the others pretty quickly.