Infected

Au you'll understand pretty damn soon what this one is about. 

3rd pov

Izzy had always had questions about the digital world and what it did to them when they got teleported into it. What did it use to make them digital, how did it adjust clothes for them as they were, why did it change the clothes at will or even regenerate them the same, are they like an antivirus protection for the digital world, and the question that worries him most and that he had never truly wanted to know the answer to, though he unfortunately gets it, what happens if they get infected? They are data as soon as they step into the digital world, and data is far too easy to corrupt, infect or even to delete, so what happens to a Digidestined if they're infected?

Izzy had a debate with Joe about it once, what they thought might happen, but it disturbed them to talk about it - partially since these are things that could've happened to them and also partially because the kids are still doing it, but mostly because they are human and it just feels wrong to talk about something that might kill them - and that conversation was quickly moved on to different subjects. They never brought it up to Tai or any of the others, saw no reason since nothing had happened so far, and they planned to never let anything like it happen.

However, they are unprepared for this. The Digidestined are having a picnic in the Digital world, in a nice little clearing by a river with some flowers and gentler digimon nearby. They're enjoying the company of each other, T.K flitting between the groups and the others just connecting as best they can - which is better than most might think - while enjoying the food they have with them. The digimon are enjoying themselves as well, chowing down and sleeping on each other as they finish with no reservations about it at all. Despite all the stories and books, there is no sudden change in attitude, no sudden ripple through the world or anything to give it away, though the atmosphere - in the digital world it is in tune with the digimon and if a stronger digimon that is dark is nearby it will override the light digimon - gets colder. 

Then a digimon that looks like a fallen angel comes breezing through, black feathers going everywhere. None of them can tell where the digimon is aiming or even what it's aiming, they all dodge for cover - except for Davis who gets caught in some nearby vines, Cody who twists his ankle in a hole in the ground, Joe who is trying to get Cody out of there and Sora who is helping Davis. It becomes clear when the digimon does not move it's aim that it does not matter which of them it hits, it just wants to hit one of them, and several of them break from their hiding places to help the others, figuring that it's best to be quicker than anything. 

It does not take long for the digimon to find a new target without anyone noticing - Kari is just in the tree line, ready to defend them from attacks, Ken is off to the side next to Izzy and Mimi, while Yolei stands closer to Davis. T.K meanwhile is off to the side, farther from the others ( he'd been prepared to cross the river - deep enough to reach about his chest - in order to get out of the way) and the digimon decides this one is perfect. He has no way to know the chaos he unleashes by choosing T.K, nor will he ever. Beelzemon charges his gun and takes aim, faking out until the last second where he twists his body, flexes his wings and rockets towards T.K firing without waiting.

It is not an attack that comes out, but something far worse and they all know it without having to say anything, the darkness and the way it almost appears like a smog as soon as the digimon fires let's them know this is going to fucking suck fixing, but they're damn well going to do so. A needle embeds itself in T.K's chest, the digimon punching the plunger - both forcing the needle deeper in and injecting something into him. The cries of outrage, anger and worry are so synchronous that no one quite knows who let out which or if they all did, but several digimon respond, Garurumon, Birdramon, Greymon, Veemon, and Aquilamon taking to the battlefield.