chapter [22]

The next upcoming days Kate, Ed and I were freed from training and went to special education and preparation for assisting the mission. Mr. Gray was the one who led it but occasionally Neil showed up to warn us of every little thing that could go wrong. I kept being polite to him even when the urge of hitting him in the face never died down. Maybe that was wrong but I couldn't help it.

It was way more concerning that as soon as I left the sessions with Mr. Gray, when I left my new appartment or generally whenever I went somewhere else Raven was right next to me. I knew he was supposed to keep an eye on me but still I felt a little awkward around him sometimes when weird thoughts went through my head and I wished I wasn't so imaginative.

"What color of contacts do you like?" I almost jumped in surprise when Raven appeared behind me once again once I left the dressing room next to the gym in the early evening. Our flight to London was the day after tomorrow so by now we had memorized everything that we had to know and the rules we had to follow. However, Raven was never present at the training but always creeped up behind me after it.

"Why are you always sneaking up behind me like this?!" I turned around and slapped his shoulder slightly.
The guy started grinning and continued walking where I wanted to go.

"I have to keep an eye on you after all. So which color?" He repeated his question although I didn't see any importance in that matter.

"I don't care. Brown would probably be the best because that's what's written in my ID." I thought about it for a second before answering that.

"You have to be extra careful on this mission, you know? I'll get in trouble if people find out about you." Raven reminded me and I noticed how he only talked about himself here again. It wasn't like I'd be in even greater trouble or something.

"Find out about what?" We both froze in our tracks and a shiver ran down my spine. Neil... Neil was standing right behind us when we both turned around. His arms were crossed and his usual emotionless eyes were shining dangerously. How much had he heard?

A little worried I glanced over to Raven but he was hiding his panic totally well when he mirrored his brother's pose and raised his eyebrows.

"I asked you a question and if whatever you are talking about is a threat to the mission I ought to know it." Neil stated now sounding even more tensed than before so I could literally see Raven struggling to stand up to him.
If we refused to tell him now, he'd keep an eye on us from now on and that was the worst thing to happen so we had to come up with something that Neil wouldn't question any further. Trust issues had to be a thing in the family.

"Tell him..." I stared at my feet and faked a hopeless tone in my voice.
When Raven glanced over at me his expression showed confusion.

"Rune, we can't-"

"Tell me. Now." Neil interrupted his little brother and silenced him to face me instead.

"We... we are dating and we thought that the others wouldn't accept it because it could influence our teamwork. I'm sorry" I brought those words over my lips as the first thing I could think about. But as soon as I realized what I had just said, I almost broke out into laughter and had to stay all serious with my head down.

For a few moments there was silence coming from Neil before he snorted in disbelief.

"Good try Rune Smith, but my brother would never date someone like you. Especially not a guy so don't test my patience and tell me the truth." He hissed and grabbed my shoulder to pull me closer. The force in his grip was brutal and it made me feel caught with no way to escape. Neil's personality alone was frightening and the way he moved was like a wild tiger.